Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/30/2005 2:34:50 PM EDT
She's wanting a pistol, need some input on what to get. Like I said the gun will probably wind up being used by me more, but what the hell, at least she wants a gun! Anyway, looking for small caliber around the 350.00 range(semi-auto). She likes the walther p22 but I don't like what I've heard.  Any suggestions on good reliable shooter appreciated.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 2:40:36 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
She likes the walther p22 but I don't like what I've heard.  Any suggestions on good reliable shooter appreciated.

I love mine, but strictly as a range/plinking fun gun - especially with the laser.  Wouldn't use it for self-defense. The grip is small enough that it is what I am using to teach my daughter (9 years old) to shoot pistol.

If she is looking for something for self defense, what about one of the Ladysmith revolvers from S&W or a Kel-Tec if an auto is wanted.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 4:51:30 PM EDT
[#2]
my wife found a minty Star BM in 9mm for $200.  it is a 9mm and shoots very nicely in her small hands.  i like playing with it and is a nicely contoured single stack that should be great for carry.  there are alot of them around now.  most are worn pretty good, but if you look nice ones can still be found.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 6:34:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Anybody own/shoot the little Berettas(bobcat or tomcat) they look to be a well built little gun?
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 7:34:58 AM EDT
[#4]
My wife expressed an interest in a handgun to carry when traveling. When I asked her what she wanted she said " a little,powerful gun that holds lots of bullets". So I took her to the gun shop and let her pick. She chose a 9mm Keltec. She pratices with it, knows how to operate and clean it and is still very happy with her choice. When my Son got married they were moving and owned no hand guns for personal protection. When I offered to buy them one for Christmas he said that it had to be somthing she could handle. I took them to Sportsmans Warehouse and told them to pick one out. It came down to a SIG compact anf a Kahr P9. She liked the Kahr better because it fit her hand better. My Son (who knows guns and is an MP) likes the Kahr so well he latter bought his own P9 and they are both happy with the choice. Long winded answer but I say let her pick.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 11:53:23 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Anybody own/shoot the little Berettas(bobcat or tomcat) they look to be a well built little gun?

They are well made.  I would stick with the .22lr version.  The recoil is low and she/you will shoot it much more often and CHEAPER!

Balming
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 12:01:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Makarov.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 12:16:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Used Glock 19.

Max
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 2:54:01 PM EDT
[#8]
She might like the Taurus Millenium Pro in 9mm. It's DAO with second strike capability, meaning the striker resets upon trigger pull, unlike other DAO autoloaders. I've got the PT145 and like it.

Link

GL
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 3:34:57 PM EDT
[#9]
cz75 or ruger p series.  now if she really wants a .22lr you can get the kadet conversion for the cz75 for another ~225.  so for $500 you could get a .22lr for her to learn on and a 9mm for when she gets more confident.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top