Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 12/22/2005 6:34:19 PM EDT
I remember reading awhile back that Ruger would be revamping it, and from the looks of their site they say they have. Has anyone had any experience with their new production rifles? I love the design of them but the execution sucks. I've owned 3 mini-14''s in the past, I only have one now because of problems with the other two, and the one I still have has been rechambered for a big bore round.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:00:26 PM EDT
I don't have any firsthand experience, but they are supposed to shoot 2.5 MOA out of the box, the sights have been improved, the receiver edges rounded, a rubber butt plate added, and the general tolerances have supposedly been tightened up. The barrel is still the same though, unfortunately. I would ask on www.perfectunion.com for reports on the new Mini. I too like the Mini, and own two.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:00:30 PM EDT
Ive seen the pictures but havent seen them in the shops yet .

Maybe Ruger has finally figured it out, they are putting Military style sights on it now. If they would sell Hi -cap magazines and put some "tactical" options on the gun. They could market it as a Home defense gun.

With good mags they really are reliable, but they market it as a deer or Varmit rifle. I know a lot of people would disagree but .223 is really to small for deer. Ive never seen a mini or talked to anyone who had one that would shoot better than a 4 inch group at 100 yards with scope. Not really varmit rifle accuracy.

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:10:23 PM EDT

Originally Posted By 1737:

Maybe Ruger has finally figured it out, they are putting Military style sights on it now. If they would sell Hi -cap magazines and put some "tactical" options on the gun. They could market it as a Home defense gun.

With good mags they really are reliable, but they market it as a deer or Varmit rifle. I know a lot of people would disagree but .223 is really to small for deer. Ive never seen a mini or talked to anyone who had one that would shoot better than a 4 inch group at 100 yards with scope. Not really varmit rifle accuracy.

My local Wally World has one, as did the local gunshop. I don't think Ruger ever really marketed it as a deer rifle, but they did market it as a varmint rifle. And you're right, the out of the box accuracy of a Mini-14 isn't too good for small varmints. Probably fine for coyotes though, since they're a little bigger. Ruger doesn't get the big picture with the Mini-14 which dissapoints me. If they made some real improvements like a heavier barrel and sold it with hi-caps, they could get a substantial part of the AR market. A lot of people don't like the AR, but buy one anyway because of the Mini's bad reputation. But if they could have a rifle that performed like an AR, and looked like a traditional hunting rifle, they would buy it instead. I know it's possible for Ruger to do this. They have little interest though, the Mini-14 constitutes a very small part of their overall sales and revenue. Plus they don't want to make it too militaristic.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:15:03 PM EDT
My 1987 Ranch rifle will do better than four inch groups at 100 yards with a scope with good ammo.

Dennis Jenkins

Originally Posted By 1737:

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:18:10 PM EDT
I read a report on it in Gun Test. They compared it with an older one for accuracy and they both shot about the same.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:24:36 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Bushwacker85:
If they made some real improvements like a heavier barrel and sold it with hi-caps, they could get a substantial part of the AR market.

Merry Christmas
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:31:55 PM EDT

Originally Posted By djenkins:
My 1987 Ranch rifle will do better than four inch groups at 100 yards with a scope with good ammo.

Dennis Jenkins

Ditto for my '86 GB model
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:34:55 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Lumpy196:

If they made some real improvements like a heavier barrel and sold it with hi-caps, they could get a substantial part of the AR market.

Merry Christmas

I also think that's kind of stretching it. It's a given that you must have BOTH, that is if these new production ones are worth a flip. With the accuracy of a good SKS and at it's price, I think I'd rather invest in another AR. I really wish Ruger would get that gun right though.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:35:15 PM EDT

Mini-14® Rifles:
Over 18 months of dedicated effort to totally retool our Mini-14 line has resulted in the most precisely fitted Ranch Rifles ever offered. In 2005, we are proud to introduce the new Ruger Ranch Rifle, with a number of important new features. We’ve changed the look and improved the handling of the Ranch Rifle by rounding the receiver contours and eliminating sharp edges. We’ve added a rugged, adjustable “Ghost Ring” aperture rear sight and a protected blade front sight, ensuring fast, accurate target acquisition. The new Ranch Rifle is available in either blued or stainless steel with a new hardwood stock that features a flat, rifle-style recoil pad and sling swivels. The All-Weather® stainless Ranch Rifle includes stainless steel components and a checkered synthetic stock with a rubber recoil pad. Features like integral scope bases, free Ruger scope rings, a patented recoil buffer and side ejection are still standard on all Ruger Ranch Rifles.

Mini Thirty® Rifles:
New for 2005, Sturm, Ruger introduces the new Mini Thirty. The new Mini Thirty features a new contoured receiver, a new "Ghost Ring" aperture rear sight and a new protected blade front sight. Chambered for the widely accepted 7.62 x 39mm cartridge, the Mini Thirty has proven itself the ideal autoloader for deer-size game at medium ranges. It features side ejection, patented recoil buffer (that help protect a scope), integral scope mounts and includes 1” Ruger medium-height scope rings at no extra cost. The Mini Thirty features stainless steel components and a checkered synthetic stock with a rubber recoil pad.

link

i will still never buy another one

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 8:43:19 PM EDT

Merry Christmas

You're ignorant if you think there are not a lot of people out there who hate the AR or who would at least jump at the chance of buying a more traditional looking gun if it had the same performance as an AR. And by substantial, I don't mean like 1/2, or even 1/3, but a noticeable amount of people. My guess is there are a lot more gun owners out there who would prefer a wood stocked gun. ARFCOM is a minority in the gun owning community. It's a fact.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:04:12 PM EDT

Originally Posted By netwt12:

Mini-14® Rifles:
Over 18 months of dedicated effort to totally retool our Mini-14 line has resulted in the most precisely fitted Ranch Rifles ever offered. In 2005, we are proud to introduce the new Ruger Ranch Rifle, with a number of important new features. We’ve changed the look and improved the handling of the Ranch Rifle by rounding the receiver contours and eliminating sharp edges. We’ve added a rugged, adjustable “Ghost Ring” aperture rear sight and a protected blade front sight, ensuring fast, accurate target acquisition. The new Ranch Rifle is available in either blued or stainless steel with a new hardwood stock that features a flat, rifle-style recoil pad and sling swivels. The All-Weather® stainless Ranch Rifle includes stainless steel components and a checkered synthetic stock with a rubber recoil pad. Features like integral scope bases, free Ruger scope rings, a patented recoil buffer and side ejection are still standard on all Ruger Ranch Rifles.

Mini Thirty® Rifles:
New for 2005, Sturm, Ruger introduces the new Mini Thirty. The new Mini Thirty features a new contoured receiver, a new "Ghost Ring" aperture rear sight and a new protected blade front sight. Chambered for the widely accepted 7.62 x 39mm cartridge, the Mini Thirty has proven itself the ideal autoloader for deer-size game at medium ranges. It features side ejection, patented recoil buffer (that help protect a scope), integral scope mounts and includes 1” Ruger medium-height scope rings at no extra cost. The Mini Thirty features stainless steel components and a checkered synthetic stock with a rubber recoil pad.

link

www.ruger-firearms.com/Firearms/images/Products/200H.gif

i will still never buy another one

Niether will I. I was glad to sell both of them.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:50:35 PM EDT
I was advised by friends to buy an AR, back in 1989 when I picked up a Stainless Mini-14.

Of course I wouldnt listen. It wasnt a ranch rifle so I bought about 3 different set of rings and bases and about 10 different types of ammo thinking I could find a magic combination that would group better than 5 or 6 inches at 100 and it never did.

Ive still got mine, now with a scout mount and red dot sight. I use it for jackrabbits when Im in New Mexico.

I keep my two AR's in reserve for ZOMBIES
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 11:04:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/22/2005 11:09:57 PM EDT by Coopmandu]

Merry Christmas

You're ignorant if you think there are not a lot of people out there who hate the AR or who would at least jump at the chance of buying a more traditional looking gun if it had the same performance as an AR. And by substantial, I don't mean like 1/2, or even 1/3, but a noticeable amount of people. My guess is there are a lot more gun owners out there who would prefer a wood stocked gun. ARFCOM is a minority in the gun owning community. It's a fact.

I'm selling my M4 now!!!! Ruger has smoothed the receiver, added a buttpad, and added new sights. Until they do something about that barrel, I won't even give 'em a passing glance.

And by the way, I had a mini-thirty once.................. I now own AK's and SKS's
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 11:14:52 PM EDT
While the mini-14 has had its problems, I do think its reputation makes it out to be worse than it is.

3 to 4 moa out of box was typical of most older mini-14s. The new one is supposed to be at 2 to 3 moa.

If ruger would just put a heavier barrel on they thing they could get a 1 moa out of box rifle.

The magazine issue, really, is a non issue these days since the ban died. I bought those no name thirty rounders from sportsman's guide for 12 bucks each and all 7 have worked 100% through about 2k rounds spread between them.

Put a 1 moa -ish barrel, make the ultimak rail standard or something similar and improve the sights, sell it for $500 and I think they would eat up a huge part of the market. If they did all that and then tried to sell it for $700 they wouldn't get shit.

The Mini-14 should aim for the lower end price range. $500 is all I think the design is worth. At the minimum the current design with a heavier barrel could be made at that price for profit.

But Ruger Co. is a liberal whore suck up so what can you do.

Someone needs to buy the Mini-14 design from them. Such a bastardization of the Garand, M1 Carbine and M14 doesn't deserve their heirs to be such a low quality rifle.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 2:51:50 AM EDT
18 months to retool and they can only come up with this. Why bother. They could have fixed the accuracy issue. If the mini is a small revenue product for Ruger can you imagine what it could be if they fixed up. Doesn't matter to me my old mini belongs to someone else. Ruger makes other product I like 10/22, sp/gp and redhwak revolvers. So I don't miss the mini at all.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 3:15:24 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 7:07:31 AM EDT
I would dump my AR for a Mini14, but not until it can compete with AR's accuracy.

I like the Mini because...

1. Better mags, now that the ban is dead.
2. I don't like plastic furniture.
3. The AR is really a kinda sorry excuse for a rifle, and it sucks that my brother is stuck in Iraq with his life depending on one (M4). He is 101's Airborne. He told me he'd carry an AK if they'd allow it, and I don't blame him. Most of the people who've served with an M16 or M4 don't have glowing compliments for the system.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 8:05:19 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 8:26:32 AM EDT
I think if Ruger did improve the accuracy issues, and make it a nice 1 MOA rifle, they could indeed sell more of them. I'd probably even pick up one as a hunting rifle (or a Mini 30). But seeing as my SKS is probably more accurate, I'd rather just use it.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 11:33:10 AM EDT
It could be a "new" Mini if Ruger made it...

---Accept M16 mags (AK mags for Mini 30)

---Install a decent BBL

---Install a decent rear sight (milled M1 Carbine)

---Sell all parts of the gun to the public

But we know that will never happen. Too bad none of the other large mfg'ers won't realise there is a market out there for for a centerfire "standard" rifle that accepts milspec mags...
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 11:47:37 AM EDT

Isn’t the Mini-14 patents expired by now?
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 6:11:46 PM EDT
I think this Mini 14 is pretty sweet.

Seriously, I like it. That looks like a decent scout set up, and you can make a Mini 14 accurate, it's just a little pricey.

Link Posted: 12/23/2005 8:38:10 PM EDT

Originally Posted By olds442tyguy:
I think this Mini 14 is pretty sweet.

Seriously, I like it. That looks like a decent scout set up, and you can make a Mini 14 accurate, it's just a little pricey.

www.perfectunion.com/forums/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=94022

Sweet pic. I just don't care for desert camo though. Still, for the price of a new one, I'd rather invest in an M4orgery that will shoot straight out of the box. A 1/sub MOA mini-14 with reliable functionality out of the box is my idea of the perfect truck/screwing around in the woods gun.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 9:24:09 PM EDT

You're ignorant if you think there are not a lot of people out there who hate the AR or who would at least jump at the chance of buying a more traditional looking gun if it had the same performance as an AR.

And you're ignorant for thinking a Mini performs anywhere near the AR for reliability in anything other than perfect conditions.

Nor do I support the attitudes of the Ducks Unlimited/"range" snob crowd and their desire for a more "PC" looking gun.

Bully for them and bully for you. Go by 10 and be happy. But dont come here spouting your baseless crap.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 9:28:52 PM EDT

Originally Posted By theBUBBAMANcan:
3. The AR is really a kinda sorry excuse for a rifle, and it sucks that my brother is stuck in Iraq with his life depending on one (M4). He is 101's Airborne. He told me he'd carry an AK if they'd allow it, and I don't blame him. Most of the people who've served with an M16 or M4 don't have glowing compliments for the system.

well then your bro is a fucking moron if he can't maintain an M4. mine never, ever failed me even through the massive sand storms that we faced during the initial invasion. it isnt rocket science.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 8:10:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/24/2005 1:06:05 PM EDT by guns762]
I want to brag a little here.

http://www.perfectunion.com/forums/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=94022

See that rear sight on the picture above? It's an M1 carbine sight. I think.....think.... that I was the first one to do that to a Mini Ranch rifle. I took some pictures and emailed it to the guy who ran the Mini14.com site many years ago. I even wrote up an article explaining how to modify the sight and the plate that holds it on the reciever. It worked damn well, and made the Ranch rifle perform much better with the quick adjustmemt features of the sight. It looked pretty good too,

I smile every time I see a Mini with that sight on it. That was actually my idea. Now, don't go bursting my bubble saying that someone did it long before....I don't want to hear it. I'm happy living in my little bubble.

Oh, I sold my mini after I got my first AR. It just wasn't as fun to shoot anymore.

I wouldn' t mind having another one some day, but it would have to be a clone(except caliber) of an M14 for me to get real excited(and have a better barrel). They look like they are getting futher away from that.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 10:53:18 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 11:05:02 AM EDT
Too little too late for me.

I like my Mini-14 but will not buy another. I will be buying/building another AR15, however.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 1:10:35 PM EDT

Originally Posted By raf:
According to an article by Massad Ayoob that I just read, Ruger says that all the machinery used to manufacture the Mini has just been either replaced with new stuff, or re-built and re-gaged.

They also claim that due to a general tightening of tolerances and some specific tightening/re-design, the new Minis will be quite a bit more accurate than the previous ones. We'll see.

Ya, know my old ranch rifle would shoot under 2 MOA all day long.....as long as the shots weren't too close together.....as in time. Mine would heat up, though, and the groups would get bigger. I never had a real problem with the accuracy of the Mini. It was good enough for rock chucks out to 150yds.

I do regret selling that gun. Even if it wasn't as good as an AR, it was still a good rifle.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 4:44:08 PM EDT
I've seen about a dozen minis, all of them never seemed to function 'right'.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 8:30:12 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Noname:
It could be a "new" Mini if Ruger made it...

---Accept M16 mags (AK mags for Mini 30)

---Install a decent BBL

---Install a decent rear sight (milled M1 Carbine)

---Sell all parts of the gun to the public

But we know that will never happen. Too bad none of the other large mfg'ers won't realise there is a market out there for for a centerfire "standard" rifle that accepts milspec mags...

remington has one, but it's a pump action
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 8:31:40 PM EDT

You're ignorant if you think there are not a lot of people out there who hate the AR or who would at least jump at the chance of buying a more traditional looking gun if it had the same performance as an AR.

And you're ignorant for thinking a Mini performs anywhere near the AR for reliability in anything other than perfect conditions.

And I think you missed the "had the same performance" part of his post
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 8:59:16 PM EDT

If I lived in California that's what I'd own. I'll stick with ARs as long as I live in free America.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 11:16:59 PM EDT
I am never buying another Ruger until they start making high capacity magazines for thier 10/22 and other weapons.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 6:25:52 AM EDT
I wonder that if the Mini used the same gas system as the garand and M14 if the accuracy would be better even with the thin bbl. They tap the gas about 1/2 way down the bbl as opposed to nearly at the muzzle as the earlier Garand actions do. The original Garand has a long gas cyl and a relatively light op rod whereas the Mini uses a short gas impulse and a heavy op rod.

Just misc ramblings. It would be nice to have a variety of accurate actions. The people that want an accurate Garand style action in 5.56 or 7.62x39 are stuck. Maybe they will be happy with a gas-piston AR.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 7:03:56 AM EDT
Doubt I could buy a r*ger centerfire again...lawyer length chamber lead and crappy politics.

Buddy shot corosive in his mini-30 ranch and well you know...

I bought the reciever, rings and stock for a C-note and had it rebarreled to 311 bore 16.5 " in length and turned a bit heavier than standard diameter.

Shot several sub 1" groups with S&B ammmo and a 3-9 scope.

Now it wears Williams peep sights and a hooded aperture front sight.

Perfect NJ legal truck gun with 10roud mags, fits in a dokosil short case with an 18" H&R Topper in 12 ga..

Pete

Link Posted: 12/25/2005 7:20:33 AM EDT
If I received one as a gift, I'd sell it in a heartbeat.

It's a toy...
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 7:43:23 AM EDT
Ruger has said in their ads for years that they make arms for responsible sportsmen. I think they are not into the assault rifle business and the headaches that brings. You may have quite a wait for them to make a high capacity 10/22 mag also.

Dennis Jenkins

Originally Posted By MST2:
I am never buying another Ruger until they start making high capacity magazines for thier 10/22 and other weapons.

Link Posted: 12/25/2005 9:49:52 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 10:09:13 AM EDT
Lumpy,

Don't call my brother a "f---ing moron", especially while he's in the sandbox defending your ass.

I have talked to lots of people who carried m16's & m4's that would rather have carried AK's. I suppose everyone's a moron who doesn't agree with you, right? I suppose anyone who's ever had an m16 jam is a moron too, right? I suppose you probably also think the AK is not as reliable as an m16 as well.

I respect that you served your country over there yourself, but that doesn't mean that you now know everything, and since you don't know my brother don't talk shit about him.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 10:51:59 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 11:09:59 AM EDT
I apologize for my verbage, especially on Christmas.

My blood pressure is back to normal now!

Merry Christmas, everyone (even Lumpy).

Link Posted: 12/25/2005 11:11:33 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 11:40:55 AM EDT
Tweak,

My mistake...it was Redhorseman...sorry Lumpy

Well, Merry Christmas to Redhorseman too...

No grudges, esp on Christmas!
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 12:39:56 PM EDT

Lumpy,

Don't call my brother a "f---ing moron", especially while he's in the sandbox defending your ass.

I have talked to lots of people who carried m16's & m4's that would rather have carried AK's. I suppose everyone's a moron who doesn't agree with you, right? I suppose anyone who's ever had an m16 jam is a moron too, right? I suppose you probably also think the AK is not as reliable as an m16 as well.

I respect that you served your country over there yourself, but that doesn't mean that you now know everything, and since you don't know my brother don't talk shit about him.

I can as I've been there and I've done that with the combat patch to prove it. not keeping your issued weapon in working condition is unacceptable.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 12:48:34 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 4:39:14 PM EDT
Yep what he said.

Alot of soldiers wanna come back get a shower/eat and play PS2/use the internet etc after a patrol.

Its that Asshole Squad Ldr that makes the men clean there weapons before they do anything else.

It wasnot fun being that Asshole, but someone had to do it.

Keep your M4 clean and use good mags and she wont let you down.

FREE

Originally Posted By Tweak:

Originally Posted By TheRedHorseman:
not keeping your issued weapon in working condition is unacceptable.

+1,000

Link Posted: 12/25/2005 4:57:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/25/2005 4:58:36 PM EDT by HeavyMetal]
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 5:52:33 PM EDT

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally Posted By TheRedHorseman:
not keeping your issued weapon in working condition is unacceptable.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Red,

When did I (or my brother) say that my brother did not maintain his rifle. I'm sure he does, even if you are sure he doesn't...I think you ASSUME too much.

My brother is third generation ARMY, and knew how to field strip an M16 by the time you were potty-trained.

Merry Christmas, (jerk)
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 6:58:05 PM EDT

Where do you guys come up with this crap?

Carried and M16 and an M4 for about 5 years in the Marine Corps. Carry an M4 now with my current employment. Never had a problem.

Can someone post a picture of Bill the Cat sticking out his tongue making the "thhhhtpd" sound for me?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Top Top