Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/21/2005 9:12:03 AM EDT
I got this 20 gun safe from Dick's Sporting goods.  It seems pretty decent and weighs in at 608 lbs according to some other web sites that sell it.  It has mechanical combination lock and does not have a key lockout for the dial as the nicer Remington safes do.
I think it will do the trick.  Delivery was $90.  They are on sale right now for $500 in store and include a free digital small safe which cost $50 separately.  Pricewise Its a lot cheaper than other brands for a comparable size/weight safe and I think it will keep out most common thugs, and common kids.

Oppinions?

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1881245&cp=&kw=stack-on+20+gun+safe&parentPage=search&searchId=5480743984
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 9:27:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Not bad....  Model # GSX-520  $832 from Midway  

oldie.stack-on.com/securityplus/fire_resistant/gsx-520.html

The "gun number" is a bit over-zealous, but that is common.

The external dimensions are 26-3/4"W x 23"D x 59"H  They wont say the weight, or the material on the website.

For comparison - www2.academy.com/MktgContent.nsf/LUDK/Hunting%202005%20Fire%20Arm%20Safes%20Page%201?OpenDocument

In the $500 range - that sounds spot on for pricing....

Link Posted: 12/21/2005 3:09:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Wally World has this Winchester on sale for $597 in the stores.  It's a 24 gun, and has a electronic keypad.  We just picked one up the other night and it's a great safe for the price.

Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:15:15 PM EDT
[#3]
I picked up a 10 gun safe from them that weights about 200 lbs.  It is non-fire rated but works very well for me.  Mine cost me @$200.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:17:05 AM EDT
[#4]
If the battery dies on the electronic safe how do you open it?  That looks like a nice deal.  All the Wally-worlds around Philadelphia are politically correct and don't carry such items.

Does it have a key to open it as well?  I think my kids are too resourceful.  If there is a keyhole, somehow they will find it and open it.

JMN69
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 12:17:42 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
If the battery dies on the electronic safe how do you open it?  That looks like a nice deal.  All the Wally-worlds around Philadelphia are politically correct and don't carry such items.

Does it have a key to open it as well?  I think my kids are too resourceful.  If there is a keyhole, somehow they will find it and open it.

JMN69

Easy... you replace the battery.

Safe door should be opened and remain open throughout the battery changing procedure. Remove the battery cover on the input pad. The cover is located at the 6 o’clock position on the input pad. Remove the “old” battery being careful not to damage the small wires. Install the new Alkaline, 9-volt battery. Insert the new battery back into the battery compartment. Replace bettery cover by placing one side of the cover into the housing, and then snap other side into position. With the door open, extend the locking bolts by rotating the safe handle counter-clockwise approximately 90 degrees. Enter existing combination to verify proper operation. When finished with procedure, close safe door and resume normal operation of the safe.
finish. To clean the safe, spray the painted surface with a good glass cleaner (example—Windex) and wipe with a soft cloth. If you desire, you can wax the high gloss safe with any high quality automotive wax. The textured paint finish should be cleaned with a soft cloth and Windex. Do not wax this finish.

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 12:49:05 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Wally World has this Winchester on sale for $597 in the stores.  It's a 24 gun, and has a electronic keypad.  We just picked one up the other night and it's a great safe for the price.

graphics.samsclub.com/images/products/0040638998619_L4.jpg
graphics.samsclub.com/images/products/0040638998619_L2.jpg

Is that safe fireproof?
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 12:57:04 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is that safe fireproof?

No safe is fireproof.  Safes have fire ratings, hopefully by an independent laboratory.  X degrees for Y amount of time.... for a maximum acceptable internal temperature.

That safe has a rating of 1200 deg for 32 minutes:

www.granitesafe.com/winchester.html
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 2:46:50 PM EDT
[#8]
I picked up the "16-gun" version from Dick's Sporting Goods, with the electronic lock. It was the only one they had in black, and they said they didn't have any in black. I found it myself.
It's a step up from the school lockers I was using before I moved, but it's not The Best. I had to build a step for the back of it because the shorter rifles weren't long enough to reach the barrel rests. This also had the added advantage of allowing me to put a couple of pistol cases underneath. It worked out pretty good, and I made it from wood I had lying around.

When I finally get a bigger and better gun safe, I'll keep this one for storing ammunition. For the money, I thought it was pretty decent.

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:46:27 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

JMN69

There is no key.  If the battery dies, you need to put a new one in before you can open it, but it's supposed to beep a hell of a lot when the battery is low so you can replace it.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 3:42:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Yea I like mine.

My wife paid $580 for it.

FREE

Quoted:

Link Posted: 12/26/2005 4:21:40 AM EDT
[#11]
I used to have a double door stack-on that had the single "church-key" type lock on it.  

One day I put the key in and it just spun around and around.  It took me 2 days to break into my own safe.  I went and bought a nice cannon after that, no regrets.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top