Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/13/2005 10:39:20 AM EDT
Buddy just bought one. I've read good things from those that own one, and bad things from those who won't.

M4-AK
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 5:07:46 PM EDT
[#1]
I currently own a 700 ADL.  I was planning on buying one for the detachable mag capabilities.  However the Caliber selection was a big draw back.

*Edit*  BTW, I felt they looked ugly.  So that was a big factor as well.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 6:36:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Do you think anyone on this site would admit to owning one of those POS?
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 6:41:35 PM EDT
[#3]
When I was selling guns this summer, this was more or less my line when they asked to look at the 710s as opposed to the 700s that were only about $50-60 more: The 710 will go bang every time and the detachable mag is nice. It is a decent entry-level hunting rifle, but if you have any way of spending the little extra and buying the 700, you get so much more gun for so little price difference.
I personally hated the plastic trigger-guard that was part of the stock. Looked flimsy and fugly at the same time. Just my thoughts.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 10:59:21 PM EDT
[#4]
i owned one

pawned it to help pay for a 1911

dont regret it

get a Remington 700

the rem 710 just sucks
trigger is ok, takedown is simple
action is rough; stock sucks/cheap; cheaply made rifle, not quality

if its any worth, i got a couple of 710 mags laying around for sale.....
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 5:36:01 AM EDT
[#5]
What about the 2005 710's with the steel bolt thingy?

M4-AK
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 9:48:05 AM EDT
[#6]
I used to have one in .30-06. It was a good gun, I never had a problem with it. The bolt was kinda clunky and the trigger was pretty "spungey", but it went bang every time and hit what I was aiming at. I ultimately sold it in order to jump on a $400 USGI M1 Carbine. That said, if I ever buy another Remington rifle in the future, it will be a 700, just because they have better worksmanship. Not to say that my 710 was shoddy, but it is what it is: A cheap, utilitarian rifle designed and marketed for the beginning hunter.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 9:49:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Want a really cheap hunting rifle?  Buy a Savage.

Want something to ultimately upgrade and make a custom piece?  Get a Remington 700.

Link Posted: 12/14/2005 12:56:44 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Want a really cheap hunting rifle?  Buy a Savage.

Want something to ultimately upgrade and make a custom piece?  Get a Remington 700.

I think a 710 is somewhat like a basic tool (glock). Nothing fancy but gets the job  done. I too would prefer a 700 just because of status and quality or a Savage. The Savage Accutrigger rocks. A buddy's 270 Savage Accutrigger shoots 1" groups all day long with 130 Win cheap stuff.

M4-AK
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 1:04:58 PM EDT
[#9]
poor mans version of the 700
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 11:45:34 PM EDT
[#10]
People who don't like them have too high of expectations.  My dad was looking for a hunting rifle and I suggested he get on.  He did and we haven't had any problems.  It has the quality you would expect from a $300 rifle.  The action is "jerky" to say it best, and it has more plastic parts than most would want, but the only time it gets used is 2 weeks out of the year.  He doesn't go to the range just to shoot like I do.  Figuring he usually goes hunting 5 days out of the season, it sits in the safe for 360 days of the year.  This is the type of person the 710 was made for.  Not the individual (usually the people who shit on them) who shoots regularly and likes to modify their rifle.  It has everything the economic minded "hunter only" crowd needs.  Light, cheap, detachable mag, scope, and decent accuracy.  Those who have them and don't like them are taking their frustration out on the gun because they wish they would have bought a better gun.  YMMV but my dads shoots 2-3 MOA, which is plenty for the average PA hunter where most shots at deer are under 100yds.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 12:10:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Same money you've got a Savage 10/12 action. Not even a comparison as far as features/quality/accuracy....especially if you get the accutrigger Savages.

I have no clue why someone would buy one, I really don't.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top