Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/10/2003 4:16:13 AM EDT
I just picked up a Remington 700 PSS in .308.  I am trying to reproduce (as closely as possible without spending a lot of $$), the M-24.  I was wondering if this is a good price on the HS Precision M24 stock:
www.hsprecision.com/pst03a.htm

or if I should look elsewhere...

how much should I expect to be able to sell my 700 PSS stock for (it's in like-new condition)?
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 12:03:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Anyone?

It looks like that stock would run $295 + $120 for the adjustable pull buttstock, plus $5 for an extra swivel stud.  ($420 total)

There is also the option to add "Rail Assembly" for another $70.  What is that?

Is there a place to get this HS Precision adjustable stock any cheaper?
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 5:37:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Try looking at Midway USA. They carry HS stocks.
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 6:08:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks.  That was actually the second place I looked, but I couldn't find the HS Precision Stock with the adjustable buttstock.
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 6:23:04 AM EDT
[#4]
You can sell your PSS stock for about $160-$190.

Link Posted: 12/11/2003 6:30:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks Shivan.

As this is my first "precision" rifle (still haven't received it yet, but have purchased it), I am unfamiliar with a lot of the terms and technical aspects of them.   I see a lot of the stocks labeled as "BDL" and "ADL".  What's the difference?

The particular PSS I bought it an "older" one - about 10 years old.  It doesn't have the detachable mag, and is the 24" barrel version (I hear they new ones are 26").  The seller says it has been parkerized instead of blued, so it has a gray/greenish tinge to it.

I also hear a lot of people refer to "bedding" on a stock - aluminum, glass, etc...  what is "bedding", why is it important, and what is the type to look for?  If it helps, I don't want to spend a LOT of money on this rifle just yet and will mostly use it for fun at the range.
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 9:28:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Well, an older PSS should have the detachable magazine.

Maybe not.....

BDL is a droppable floorplate that clears the internal "magazine".  An ADL has a totally enclosed magazine and must be cycled through in order to empty the magazine/gun.

You may be getting a bastardized PSS, which is fine so long as it's got the heavy barrel contour and the HS Precision stock...and it's in good working order.

The action and the barrel are the same on a 700BDL heavy contour barrel as they are on the 700P series, the main {and only} difference on the new 700P vs 700BDL is the stock and the placement of additional safety features on the BDL's.

I think the price you got was excellent even if it turns out to be a pieced together PSS.

Ed
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 9:57:51 AM EDT
[#7]
I appreciate the help.

I didn't ask him if it was in a BDL or ADL setup, but he did confirm that it's NOT the DM version.  He did say that it came from the factory with a 24" barrel, which means - according to Remington - that it was made prior to 1994, since that's when they started making the PSS rifles with a 26" barrel.  They added the LTR 20" barrels to the mix in '97 IIRC.

As far as the barrel contour, he said (I have spoken to him on the phone several times) it was a "medium" contour - whatever that means.  I like the look of the heavy barrels (like the 5R ones), so I am hoping that it has the heavy barrel.  He also said he'd give me an "inspection" period and if I determined that it wasn't for me, he'd let me return it to him and get my $$ back, so I am not worried about it not being functional.  

Link Posted: 12/11/2003 11:51:11 AM EDT
[#8]
I did find the H-S Precision M24 stock for $379 here:  www.impactguns.com/store/hs_precision.html

It seems like a pretty good deal on that stock.  Is the retailer reliable?

I also noticed the H-S Precision detachable mag system on there for $220.  Is it any good?  Is the feeding reliable?
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 12:03:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Just my .02,but I wouldn't mess with the detachable mag,unless the rifle came that way.
For what they want($$)I personally would put the money toward upgraded optics,base,rings,bi-pod etc..
Do it if you want,but a drop floor mag is really not that bad.
Also,you may spend all that money on the detachable mag system and find it's not reliable,a pain in the A**,extra mag costs,etc.
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 6:29:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Well, it's time to throw in my 2 cents...
Look at me!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top