Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 11/10/2003 8:26:13 PM EDT
I have a German made Mauser GEW98 made in 1918 that I paid $70 for at Knob Creek a few years back. I was wondering what it woud be worth.

It has mismatched numbers but is in pretty good shape. Shiney bore, good stock with a hole where the pin goes that holds the handguard in so the pin doesn't hold it very well. It has all the markings too.

What do y'al think it's worth?? On Gunbroker.com I saw one very similar to mine with matching numbers made in 1917 go for $455, so to say the least, my interest has spiked. :D

I dont think I'll sell it, but it's always nice to know what I could get out of it. If I can figure out how to post pics, I'll do that too. Anyone that can help?
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 8:29:35 PM EDT
http://www.85merk.com/members/matts90cv/gew98.jpg

All I can do for right now, I'll try to get some better ones.
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 1:03:21 AM EDT
you might want to head over to the parallax c&r forums (they have one just for german mausers)and ask there.

fwiw i was watching a gew stock on ebay last year and it went for over $200. there was a cut down stock gew at a pawn shop and i was going to bid on it and restore one. oh well.

i've never really seen too many gew's at gunshows but i've only been mauser hunting for a year now.
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 4:32:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/11/2003 4:33:40 AM EDT by raf]
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 6:45:50 PM EDT
Headspace is good. I've put maybe 100-200 rounds through it. Had only one mishap. Case almost exploded.hock.gif No damage to the rifle though. In fact the only way I knew it happened was I couldnt get the bolt to move. Finally had to use a rubber mallet to get the bolt open and look at what happened. I should get a pic of that case cause I still have it. I think it was just a little too hot for such an old rifle. Needless to say that was the last time I bought that ammo.

I dont really shoot it anymore. It's hanging up on my wall right now. I was just interested in what it could be worth, even if it is no where near the $455 that other guy got for his. I didnt expect that anyway but I would feel pretty good about myself if I could get $200-$250 out of it.

I'll try that other forum.
Top Top