Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/9/2003 7:04:22 AM EDT
Hello everyone. I just purchased a mossberg 500 persuader 12ga. It is the 20inch model and should have a magazine capacity of 8rds. However the tube only hold 4 (2 3/4) shells. How do I correct this.. Thank you..
Link Posted: 11/9/2003 7:13:54 AM EDT
[#1]
.......remove the plug from the magazine tube..........
Link Posted: 11/9/2003 7:16:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Haha!  Been there, done that.  If you need help removing the dowel plug, just whistle.
Link Posted: 11/9/2003 7:18:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Yes, please help. How do I take the plug/dowel out?.. Thank you
Link Posted: 11/9/2003 7:27:50 AM EDT
[#4]
put gun in car

drive back to store

take gun into store

return gun to clerk

pick out 870

return 870 to car

drive home

own decent shotgun

Link Posted: 11/9/2003 7:48:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/9/2003 8:30:35 AM EDT
[#6]
I already have an 870, but wanted a second shotgun. Does anyone know how to remove the plug/dowel that prevents it from hold the 7rds in the tube..(total cap is 8 7 in tube 1 in chamber I am guessing..)
Link Posted: 11/9/2003 8:58:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/9/2003 10:58:21 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I already have an 870, but wanted a second shotgun. Does anyone know how to remove the plug/dowel that prevents it from hold the 7rds in the tube..(total cap is 8 7 in tube 1 in chamber I am guessing..)

....................remove barrel.......pull stop from end of mag tube....careful...the spring will fly out too......drop out plug......put spring back in...push metal stop back into mag tube.....simple
Link Posted: 11/9/2003 12:36:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Yup. I got a cool wooden dowel in my Mossy 590 that rattled around in the mag tube,for a while back in the day.
Link Posted: 11/9/2003 4:04:47 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

The mag tube is kind of a bitch to remove the first time on a Mossy (they use some kind of Loc-Tite).  I used a strap wrench on the tube with the receiver in a vise with wood block (non marring) tightened just enuff to prevent the receiver from moving (don't crush the frame).  Now that I've removed it once I can do it by clamping the receiver between my legs & twisting the mag tube with bare hands & a fair bit of muscle.

I too have both the Mossberg 500 & Remington 870.  If I had to choose one to grab when the SHTF it's Mossberg all the way.   Why is it that Remington owners almost always feel the  need to trash talk Mossbergs but I have yet to hear Mossberg owners trash Remingtons??    
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 5:52:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Thank you all for your help... Dowel removed.. Shotgun good to go...
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 9:52:27 PM EDT
[#12]
riff -- maybe i read it wrong, but you took the actual mag tube out of the reciever? WHY ?

you should never have to do that.
the spring and plug and everything should come out with just taking the cap off, unless the cap is what your talking about, if it is then it should only be on hand tight.
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 11:17:08 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
riff -- maybe i read it wrong, but you took the actual mag tube out of the reciever? WHY ?

you should never have to do that.
the spring and plug and everything should come out with just taking the cap off, unless the cap is what your talking about, if it is then it should only be on hand tight.

What cap?  You might be thinking of the M590 Mossberg, which does have a magazine cap that comes off, like a Remington.  The standard M500 Mossberg doesn't (1 piece with threaded end for the barrel takedown screw).  That's the main diff between the M590 & M500.  The 'mil-spec' M590 allows for the cleaning/clearing of the mag tube in the field.
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 6:50:21 AM EDT
[#14]
......riff is right.....i was thinking about the 835`s and 9200`s.....which have a push-in plug...like 870`s.....i looked at my 500 and....oops.....i helped confuse somebody....but...i seem to remember the dowell coming out of the end plug..on the persuader i used to have.....if you have to screw out the mag tube.....that works too.......weren`t we all...experts at one time?.....I don`t know about you guys.....but i know everything!..
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 7:13:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Remove the barrel.  Hold the gun upside down & shake a little until the dowel (plug) falls out the front end of the mag tube.  Plate that's threaded for the barrel nut makes this a little tricky, but it will work in a minute or 2.  There's no need to remove the mag tube.

-hanko
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 1:49:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Ok class, his mossberg has a ONE piece mag tube.  No cap on end.  

Link Posted: 11/16/2003 2:24:40 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Remove the barrel.  Hold the gun upside down & shake a little until the dowel (plug) falls out the front end of the mag tube.  Plate that's threaded for the barrel nut makes this a little tricky, but it will work in a minute or 2.  There's no need to remove the mag tube.

-hanko

Not for the factory 'pencil' mag plug anyways.  I only removed mine to install a Choate flourescent orange mag follower.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top