Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/6/2003 5:38:05 PM EDT
I bought one today for the upcoming deer season. Once I got it home the first thing I did was take it down and clean it. I then mounted a new Nikon scope, boresigted it and added the sling. After all that I'm thinking I'm good to go for the range tomorrow to sight it in until I loaded the magazine and ran a few rounds through the action. The ejection seems pretty weak to me. The shells seem to just fall out and sometimes they don't eject completely. Of course I realize that I'm trying to eject live rounds which obviously weigh more than spent rounds but it still seems weak. Maybe I'm just used to the action of my Ruger 77.

Is this normal for for a 700?
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 6:26:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Remove the bolt and check the ejector. The spring should be fairly stiff.
Link Posted: 11/7/2003 3:51:48 AM EDT
[#2]
If you pull the bolt back slowly, they will not eject.  You need to "shuck" them out and they will eject.

Good choice.  I love the 700
Link Posted: 11/7/2003 4:42:06 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I bought one today for the upcoming deer season...The ejection seems pretty weak to me. The shells seem to just fall out and sometimes they don't eject completely...Maybe I'm just used to the action of my Ruger 77...Is this normal for for a 700?

That's pretty normal for any push-feed rifle. They just don't eject the cartridges as "vigorously" as the Mauser-type actions do. You really need to get the bolt going quickly in order to throw any considerable distance.
Link Posted: 11/7/2003 8:04:10 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Remove the bolt and check the ejector. The spring should be fairly stiff.

I checked that, it's pretty stiff. I can't imagine it needing to be any stiffer.

Quoted:
If you pull the bolt back slowly, they will not eject.  You need to "shuck" them out and they will eject.

Actually, I've found just the opposite to be true. I've tried it both ways. Maybe it's just when I eject live (heavier) rounds. I'll find out this weekend if it happens with spent rounds as well. It just makes unloading the rifle a PITA since I have the synthetic stock which doesn't have the floorplate.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top