Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 11/5/2003 6:30:35 PM EDT
I posted in the handguns forum for more reads so....

I've really wanted an original P38 with all the markings for a long time. But my budget is being very anti-gun right now so I might have to settle for something a little less expensive.

Does anyone have one of these alloy framed P1s??? What is the quality like on them?? I just want one for a shooter that I can put a few hundred rounds through and not have to worry too much about it. Is it picky about the ammo it feeds, etc.??

:D Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 10:38:43 AM EDT
Got one about a year ago. West German military surplus, built in 1977. Quality is just fine, as one would expect from Walther. Have run a couple hundred rounds thru it with out a hitch, tho it was all FMJ ammo. I don't know how well HP's well work, it wouldn't surprise me if it hiccups a bit on them.

Accuracy was on par with my other nines. Double action trigger pull is not great but that's the nature of the beast. Single action is acceptable.

As best I can tell mine was never issued. Was taken out of storage and test fired at least once, I have the sheet the Bundeswehr fills out when they do it. All sorts of numbers, proof marks and military acceptance marks on mine.

Neat gun. Happy with it.

Link Posted: 11/6/2003 4:20:14 PM EDT
Friend of mine has one, its beautiful. Says it hiccuped every once in awhile at first, but it was made in the late 80s and was basically unfired when he got it, so that's normal break-in on a gun with such tight tolerances. The fit and finish is classic Walther. And you really can't beat the sub $300 prices they are going for right now.
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 4:57:30 PM EDT
My uncle has a WWII one and said he would be wary about an alloy framed one. Guess I can put that fear to rest. Maybe I'll look one up. I'll let y'all know. :D
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 7:51:02 PM EDT
Well I wouldn't put 10,000 rounds of +P ammo through the alloy framed version, but for plinking you should be able to run as much Winchester "white box" FMJ as you want without any trouble. After all these were duty guns issued to the German polizei, who aren't known for buying Lorcins and RavenArms as issue sidearms, they usually do a pretty good job of testing, etc. first!
Link Posted: 11/8/2003 9:19:40 AM EDT
Good shooters for the price, if possible find one post 1964 that has the locking block reinforcing pin. I sold mine to a buddy cause I found an AC 1944, the P1 shot great. Recommend fmj standard loads.

rk
Top Top