Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/4/2003 9:54:11 PM EDT
If companies like Trijicon, Aimpoint, Knights, Surefire, Blackhawk etc. are making more money off the U.S. Military/Gov't than private citizens? I'm guessing they are, more so now than before because of the new SOPMOD kit, but I'm just wondering what you guys think/know. BTW- I'm not asking about weapons, just stuff like weapon accessories, packs, knives, lights, etc. Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 3:06:23 PM EDT
[#1]
No one?
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 4:07:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 6:05:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Ahh, I see, thanks. Have another question: Is most of the gear carrying equipment (i.e. backpacks) in the military manufactered by the U.S. military/Gov't, or commericial companies like Blackhawk? What is the current GI issue "backpack" and can us civvies get our hands one one? Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 6:19:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 6:28:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Hickboy...

Like anything the government spends money on, all of the gear is made by a contractor. This contractor is usually the one that brings in the lowest bid for job, but can still maintain the specifications that are demanded. Nothing, let me say that again, NOTHING is made outside of the US. That's the reason Blackhawk lost the US military contract. They sub-contracted out to an overseas company when they couldn't meet production deadlines. The military found out, yanked the contract, and very quickly gave it to Eagle. That's also the reason Blackhawk gear is so readily available, and Eagle gear is so tough to find.
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 6:47:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks Robar. So are you saying that the Trijicon, Aimpoint, Knights, Surefire, etc. stuff that the military buys is different from what us civvies get because the military's gear is not as well made because the companies are under a tight money contract?

BTW- Sorry if these questions sound completely absurd and idiotic, I know they do. This is just something that popped into my head and now I keep thinking about it for some reason.
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 7:02:48 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Thanks Robar. So are you saying that the Trijicon, Aimpoint, Knights, Surefire, etc. stuff that the military buys is different from what us civvies get because the military's gear is not as well made because the companies are under a tight money contract?

BTW- Sorry if these questions sound completely absurd and idiotic, I know they do. This is just something that popped into my head and now I keep thinking about it for some reason.

Well, it goes like this...The military decides it needs "thing-X". They work up a set of specifications for said 'thing-X', and then tell all of the makers of similar things that they are able to bid for the contract if they'd like. Now, company-Y says, "Hey, we can build you 'thing-X' at cost-A, and we can do it in the time frame that you want." Now if company-Y happens to be the lowest bidder, they get the contract. The product that they make for the government isn't less well made than what the civilian population gets, it's just less expensive (usually), because the military doesn't do anything half-assed, they usually buy a ton of whatever they need, plus spare parts, so the cost is lower. If anything, civilians are the ones that lose out. We might be able to get the same high-speed, low-drag stuff the military gets, but we have to pay more for it because we're only buying things one at a time. See?
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 8:39:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Ahhhhh, I see, I see!! Kinda like shopping at Costco! Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 12:28:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Going back to the pack issue, the first molle system had a little plastic lock thing that would lock the LBV (duece gear) and the pack together. Problem was that if you didn't have the duece gear on the lock would rub a raw spot on your back. So of course Marines being marines bitched until we got the next generation packs, which are actually pretty good. I'm not sure if you can get one, and if you can I don't think they're cheap.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top