Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/24/2003 4:26:02 PM EDT
I'm in the process of making some .308 loads for the DPMS, using starting out with the Sierra manual's lightest load of IMR 4895 and a Nosler 165gr BT.  The manual calls for an OAL of 2.750.  I seated the first bullet, and hand to adjust the die down a whole lot.  I seated the next one, and it just felt a little weird...which I noticed more since I was seating it all at once, instead of a whole lot of smaller increments as with the first round.  

I looked at the bullet, and then dug out a Sierra 165gr bullet...the Nosler is about 1/16" longer than the Sierra, and I'm assuming the weird feeling on round #2 is me compressing the hell out of the load.  

Obviously, I need to back off on the seating depth, but I can't find any info on the Nosler site.  Anyone got any ideas?  Thanks in advance!  
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 5:51:36 PM EDT
[#1]
seat it to mag length.  a longer oal isnt dangerous like a smaller oal
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 6:05:25 PM EDT
[#2]
I do mag length minus about .020 and it works for me, M1A of course.

Danny
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 10:26:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks...I'll try that.  I've never seen such a large variance in bullet lengths for same weight bullets...must be that spiffy green tip on the Nosler lol.  
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 10:45:21 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Thanks...I'll try that.  I've never seen such a large variance in bullet lengths for same weight bullets...must be that spiffy green tip on the Nosler lol.  

The bullet shape will be different for each mfg'r, and they can be a slightly longer or shorter.
Link Posted: 10/25/2003 2:45:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Are you using a powder measure or are you pouring the charge from a scale pan? Either way, try using a longer drop tube on the measure or hold the pan a little higher above the funnel and pour it slow. This will help the powder to fill the voids in the case better. Also try tapping the base of the case on the counter after you charge it too. If you want a good load for the .308 using the 165gr BT's, try 4064 instead of 4895. The BT's shoot damn near as good as match bullets and using Sierras load of 43.1grs of 4064(2600fps), I have no trouble seating the bullets.(4064 is also a cylindrical powder) I use only commerical brass, usually Federal, ream the flash holes(inside) and trim to length each loading, and set the OAL at 2.80 as I shoot it out of a couple of different guns. This is basicly duplicates Federal's Match loading using 168gr Sierra Match Kings. Shoots great in all my guns.
Link Posted: 10/25/2003 7:45:03 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm not familar with this particular load but some loads are compressed loads.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top