Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/23/2003 12:34:42 PM EDT
I havea  .357 Marlin lever gun that I'd like to put ghost rings on.  A tritium dot up front would be best actually.
Anybody have a setup like this? thoughts?
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 12:44:46 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a Williams Peep sight with a ghost ring insert on my 1943 Marlin 336A.

It works great.

I believe Ashley Outdoors makes a great set-up.
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 12:50:37 PM EDT
[#2]
The ashley ones are the ones I've seen.  I am just concerned about the various heights of front post, & don't want to spend weeks trying to work out which one works best.
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 12:54:43 PM EDT
[#3]
How about a scout scope mounting rail and a red dot?
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 1:33:09 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
How about a scout scope mounting rail and a red dot?

Not a giant fan of optics, but I may be mounting a Burris scout scope on it simply because I have the scope laying about.
Still would want the ghost rings as the backup though.  This is going to be a truck gun one of these days.  I really wish I could find a synthetic stock for it.  I'm already thinking of having it finished in brushed hard chrome.  Should be a funky little piece by the time I'm done with it.
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 1:34:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 1:43:04 PM EDT
[#6]
I have been considering the Marlin scout scope combo for awhile now.

My williams peep/ghost ring is fully adjustable and works fine except for the possibility of snagging while on the move. Since this gun is so old, it's not drilled and tapped for scope so I'll leave it as is.

I've been considering a guide gun with the scout set up.

I thought the Ashley set up came model specific and was supposed to work right out of the box.
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 3:11:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 5:58:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Ashley/XS makes the best Ghost Rings for rifles I've found. I install the XS Ghost Ring Sights on most of the Takedown Leveraction Rifles I build and have never had a problem.

Just order the one that is for your model. Their customer support is very helpful.

www.xssights.com

Thanks,
Lee
www.thearmsroom.com
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 5:02:52 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I have an older Marlin .30-30 that came with the standard leaf rear.  I recently replaced the whole rear sight assembly with a Williams "WDOS" 3/8" dovetail rear sight base and the (unlisted anywhere, but available direct from Williams) threaded ghost-ring peep aperture, which fits into the above base.  They make a non-threaded one too, but get the threaded one, which works just as well or better, AND allows you to buy the threaded peep inserts if you want a smaller peep for sighting in or whatever.

www.williamsgunsight.com

www.midwayusa.com/midwayusa/applications/mediasvr.dll/highresimage?saleitemid=211355
WDOS base, Williams item #1609

www.midwayusa.com/midwayusa/applications/mediasvr.dll/highresimage?saleitemid=496762
Williams WGRS Guide Receiver Sight "Ghost Ring" Aperture, Williams item #31891
[Note: this is the non-threaded aperture; you'll have to order the threaded version direct from Williams.]

-Troy

Looks interesting.  I wonder if the scout-scope mount that straddles the rear sight will work with that.
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 5:03:26 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Ashley/XS makes the best Ghost Rings for rifles I've found. I install the XS Ghost Ring Sights on most of the Takedown Leveraction Rifles I build and have never had a problem.

Just order the one that is for your model. Their customer support is very helpful.

www.xssights.com

Thanks,
Lee
www.thearmsroom.com

Any idea if anyone makes a synthetic stock for the 1894C?
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 5:51:51 AM EDT
[#11]
I chose the Wild West over the Ashley for my Guide Gun as it protects the aperture with 'wings'.  It is threaded as well, and with a little fidgeting you can get a smaller Williams aprerture into it.  I am on my third front Firesight though, in spite of emailing Wild West and asking which to get .

I am off to the range today, hope I don't have to buy a fourth...

www.wildwestguns.com/
Link Posted: 10/25/2003 9:09:05 AM EDT
[#12]

I am just concerned about the various heights of front post, & don't want to spend weeks trying to work out which one works best.

My AO ghost ring came with a plastic front insert that had serations on it at predetermined heights that allow you to replace your front sight with it, then shoot and "clip" the insert until you find the height you want then you can just order that one. I have mine on a Winchester Trapper in 45Colt and the factory front sight is fine. (Not that I could have used the post if I wanted to on it, as the front sight doesnt come off.) The AO sight works well and is small, rugged, and unobtrusive. Doesnt hang up on things or take away from the looks of the rifle.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top