Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/14/2003 5:40:25 PM EDT
I picked up an older browning .22lr auto-rifle.  It has the older roller rear sight.  Pretty-nivce condition, always wanted one, but was having to hold out for one with the older rear sight.

Did JMB design this rifle?  Any short comings of this rifle?

It also came with a #1815 travel case looks leather/ snthetic leather cased, brown bear fur type shag carpet interior.  

I am not too interested in this case and was wondering if there is a market for it?

Thank you for any input.

Link Posted: 10/14/2003 5:43:01 PM EDT
[#1]
AFAIK, no, JMB did not design this rifle.

If you don't mind me asking, what price did you get?
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 5:51:35 PM EDT
[#2]
I paid a little high- four and a half with the case.  Everything was in awesome shape except some rust on the buttplate.  

Had to get it, it just felt right.
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 7:26:31 PM EDT
[#3]

AFAIK, no, JMB did not design this rifle.

Incorrect. John Browning most certainly DID design the .22 Auto. It was first made here as the Remington Model 24 and later upgraded to the Model 241 while FN handled all of the overseas manufacturing and sales. After WWII they were imported and sold here under the Browning name.

The barrels tend to loosen up and the older models with the grooved receiver don't offer a decent means of mounting a scope to maintain consistent accuracy. I would also consider that annoying bottom eject a shortcoming. It's annoying as hell to get the hot empties down your sleeve.

I would think there to be a very limited market for those cases. I see them fairly regularly in gun shops and at generous discounts in Gun List.
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 8:02:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the input. It is FN made imported under the Browning name.  Bummer to hear the barrel loosens up on some of them, but I hope it doesn't on this one, the lock between the reciever and the notches on the barrel barrel ring is pretty positive.

Not too worried about scoping it, have a scoped .22, but I'm going to take a couple bricks out tomorrow and take out some cans.

I guess I'm keeping this rifle case.  Maybe it would look better with a BL-22 in it (not JMB-designed, but neat).

Thank God JMB was an American.
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 3:24:54 AM EDT
[#5]

Bummer to hear the barrel loosens up on some of them, but I hope it doesn't on this one, the lock between the reciever and the notches on the barrel barrel ring is pretty positive.

Not some, ALL. A lot of the loosening has to do with how often the rifle is taken down. However, at some point you'll have to adjust the lock ring (not too tough).

Personally, I'm holding out for the Taurus copy of the Winchester Model 63.
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 1:08:58 PM EDT
[#6]
I understand then about ALL the barrels coming loose then.  I had to adjust the ring.  It is real tight now, I don't plan on taking it apart too often, maybe this will help?

I am excited about the Taurus copy of the Winchester 63 too.  I have seen the ads in magazines, but never seen one.  Are they high quality?  I was going to get their pump .22 but it had a weird safety on the top of the reciever.

Link Posted: 10/15/2003 4:48:00 PM EDT
[#7]

I am excited about the Taurus copy of the Winchester 63 too. I have seen the ads in magazines, but never seen one. Are they high quality? I was going to get their pump .22 but it had a weird safety on the top of the reciever.

Actually, I found one in a local shop today for $220. I had just about written Taurus off since they had announced the 63 in the spring of 2002. I decided to check their website again this morning and lo and behold, they were listed as available. All of the internet sellers wanted around $250 for one, but I got lucky locally (finally).

Yes, the quality is very good, not like the original Winchesters, but certainly on par with the Ruger 10/22 (I still regret not buying one of the "reproduction" Winchesters from a few years ago). This also has a bolt lock, but it's nothing like that angry knob on the Model 62 Taurus/Rossi. This lock is an unobtrusive keyhole (it takes a Coke machine-like key) that doesn't look like a lock until someone points it out. The only thing I don't like is the lettering on the receiver and barrel, which is filled with some gold-looking crap. However, I think it may be possible to remove it with cleaning solvents, like Hoppe's or Gunscrubber, without harming the finish.
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 5:16:44 PM EDT
[#8]
I believe JMB was granted the patent for the 22 take down rifle in 1913. I have had one for over 25 years now and I will always have one.
Tuco
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 5:33:12 PM EDT
[#9]
1913?  Sweet.  I am thinking of getting a WWI Colt repo... continue with some Classic JMB shooting fun.  

You have made me need to check out the 63.  I can tolerate a small tiny lock like that.  Please post here after you shoot it, and let me know how it is to shoot.  Awesome purchase... my gun gland is now itching for one.
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 6:32:13 PM EDT
[#10]

You have made me need to check out the 63. I can tolerate a small tiny lock like that. Please post here after you shoot it, and let me know how it is to shoot. Awesome purchase... my gun gland is now itching for one.

Gratuitous pictures to follow in the morning. It'll probably be a week or so before I head to the range.
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 7:10:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Looked at the website.

I did not know it was a breakdown.  If proved reliable, waterproofing the stock may prove to be a great camping box gun (in stainless, but blue preferred for beauty).  I heard some knife handles are made by forcing epoxy under pressure into the wood.  Would be nice if they made a factory laminate stock.

I look forward to the pics, thanks.
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 2:25:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Here 'tis:

The bolt lock can be seen on the left side of the bolt. It's sort of an inverted allen wrench. All in all, it's a nice gun and a good buy.
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 4:42:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Sweet rifle, I NEED one.  I could barely see the bolt lock, and only after looking a few times, and having had you point it out.  

Thank you.

did I mention Nice rifle?
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 8:03:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Are the new Taurus 63 completely interchangable with the original Winchesters?  As in the internals and what not?  I assume that they are machined like the originals, just not as well finished?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 10:10:59 AM EDT
[#15]

Are the new Taurus 63 completely interchangable with the original Winchesters? As in the internals and what not? I assume that they are machined like the originals, just not as well finished?

Thanks!

I really don't know about interchangeability since these rifles are so new, but I bet it's very close due to these being CNC machined. The design requires a considerable amount of machining and the originals usually required fitting of replacement parts.

Fitting and finish is actually very good. In fact, I was just recently looking at one of the Japanese "reproductions" and I think they're at least equal to them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top