Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/12/2003 10:26:45 AM EDT
Tell me some good/bad...........
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 3:46:56 PM EDT
[#1]
i use mine to hunt deer in a savage 99.  i like it because no one can ask to borrow some ammo because they forgot their's.  it'll do pretty much anything the 308 will.  just slightly less velocity.  i really like it. not much recoil and accurate.  i have even been thinking of reconfiguring it to use for varmit hunting.  
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 3:50:18 PM EDT
[#2]
oops forgot the bad.  the only real bad is that it can be difficult to find ammo some times, and not much in the way of factory loads.  generally just generic 150 and 180 grain loads.  no premium or match ammo.  if you reload no such problems.
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 10:02:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Kinda. I inhertited an Arasaka type99, Japanese war trophy, that was converted in the '50s to 300 Savage for use as a deer rifle.
Want it?
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 10:12:33 AM EDT
[#4]
I inherited a Savage M99. Awsome levergun! I don`t really shoot it much due to its age plus ammo being rare and pricy. But it has a execlent trigger, and the smoothest lever that you ever did work. And the rotary mag with shot counter is really cool too.

They just don`t make `em like that anymore.
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 10:36:13 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I inherited a Savage M99. Awsome levergun! I don`t really shoot it much due to its age plus ammo being rare and pricy. But it has a execlent trigger, and the smoothest lever that you ever did work. And the rotary mag with shot counter is really cool too.

They just don`t make `em like that anymore.

Right you are......Beautiful piece of machinery!
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 6:06:57 AM EDT
[#6]
And I notice the $$$ keeps going up and up for those 99`s at the shows......still a lot of them around too......
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 4:20:23 PM EDT
[#7]
up here in washington apparently it is a fairly popular deer round. rarely do i ever have anybody ask for the ammo, but in the last 2 weeks(deer season opened on the 11th) i have had 15 different people wanting the ammo. i expect each year to get some people asking for some non standard calibers, but 15 people in 2 weeks asking for the same caliber, shows that it is still a fairly popular cartridge.
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 7:33:18 PM EDT
[#8]
I prefer the .250-3000.

Model 99s are the next big thing in collectible vintage rifles, hence the rising prices (Winchester and Marlins were picked over long ago). Right now's a good time to buy a 99 with the sluggish economy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top