Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 10/4/2003 1:53:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/5/2003 7:12:29 AM EDT by chuckhammer]
I'm on the market for a full size 5" or 6" model for target shooting, plinking, and general pride of ownership. Not for carrying as I have a customized Colt CCO for that purpose.

Kimber Gold Match II and Team Match, MSRP $1315 and $1284, respectively:
www.kimberamerica.com/goldmatch.php

Wilson Stainless Classic w/Ambi, MSRP $2180:
www.wilsoncombat.com/store.cgi?&shop=city&cart=5702776x99693&session=3f7f61455fe4b588&L=eng&P=WC-A-S

SA, Inc. Trophy Match Long Slide, MSRP $1452:
www.springfield-armory.com/prod-pstl-1911-ls.shtml

Les Baer Concept V 6", MSRP $1768:
www.lesbaer.com/cncptf.html

My questions:
1 - Do both the Gold Match II and Team Match pistols use the Schwartz firing pin safety system?
2 - Do both the Gold Match II and Team Match pistols use the new external extractor?
3 - Do both the Gold Match II and Team Match pistols use the same number of MIM parts as the standard Kimbers?
4 - Does the SA, Inc. Trophy Match use a 9mm firing pin and extractor, similar to other SA, Inc. .45 ACP 1911s?
5 - Are the Wilson pistols as good a value as those from Les Baer? These two choices are quite pricey but if I can "justify" it.........

Please help me decide. Stories of personal experience with any of the above models are welcome.

[Edited to fix links and to add "Long Slide."]
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 5:37:28 PM EDT
Possibly excepting the $5000 Korth revolvers, Baer's are THE finest handguns made today. I have shot Baer & Wilson both. Certainly, Wilson makes a damn good gun.

But if Wilson is a Mercedes, then Baer is a Rolls Royce/Bentley.

Baer is the only mfgr that offers an accuracy guarantee, IIRC. That sums it ALL up for me.

I'd rather shoot a Baer than have sex.
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 7:26:13 PM EDT
Thanks for your input. It's nice to hear from someone who doesn't immediately say, "Why would anyone get anything other than a Kimber?"
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 7:34:24 AM EDT

Originally Posted By chuckhammer:
Thanks for your input. It's nice to hear from someone who doesn't immediately say, "Why would anyone get anything other than a Kimber?"

Since most of my semi's are H&K, I usually have good answer for that one!
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 8:21:45 AM EDT
Given your criteria, I'm going to make a suggestion that you might not have considered. I have owned quite a few 1911's, ranging from inexpensive imports to custom race guns that reliably shot 3 round groups into 1" at 50 yards during IPSC matches. I currently own seven different 1911's two of which are conistent 10-ring shooters at 25 yards if I do my job.

But without question, the most accurate 45 ACP I shoot (not including the $3K race gun) is my 5" S&W 625.

This isn't a special version, it's a box stock gun, and with my normal 200 gr SWC load keeps every shot in the 10-ring of a B-27 target out to 50 yards. It's an absolute blast to shoot, a great plinker or target gun, full-moon clips make fast relaods quick and easy, and there is a very special pride when you show up at the range with the big wheelgun.

If you want something a little more upscale, there is a Performance Center version of the 625 that comes already tricked out and slicked up. www.smith-wesson.com/products/firearms/pc/m625pc.htm

The 625 will satisfy your basic criteria in a way you might not have considered. Just thought I would offer it up as an option.

Link Posted: 10/5/2003 8:39:17 AM EDT
I have a 629 Mountain Gun in .44 Mag that's similar. That Performance Center version of the 625 looks really nice. I'm really thirsting for a fancy long slide 1911, though.
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 9:51:38 AM EDT
BobCole

Wilson has a 1" @ 25 yards group guarantee for most of their pistols. I personally own 2 Wilson 1911's, and have loved them both. I have a friend who has a Baer and he loves it.
Chuckhammer, if you have the funds and the desire I don't see how you could go wrong with either a Les Baer or a Wilson. You can keep you eye out on the Equipment Exchange for nice used one and save some cash. I picked both of mine up on the EE board from fellow AR15'ers for about 70% of retail. They were both like new.
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 1:27:23 PM EDT

Originally Posted By superde:
BobCole

Wilson has a 1" @ 25 yards group guarantee for most of their pistols. I personally own 2 Wilson 1911's, and have loved them both. I have a friend who has a Baer and he loves it.
Chuckhammer, if you have the funds and the desire I don't see how you could go wrong with either a Les Baer or a Wilson. You can keep you eye out on the Equipment Exchange for nice used one and save some cash. I picked both of mine up on the EE board from fellow AR15'ers for about 70% of retail. They were both like new.

That's good work. I don't know if I have the patience for that since I'm only interested in a few specific models.
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 3:02:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/5/2003 3:03:08 PM EDT by Powergen]
I think there's another one that belongs in the class you're considering - the S&W Performance Center model 945. Anyone who owns one will vouch for it's quality and accuracy.

Link Posted: 10/7/2003 2:17:18 PM EDT
I would suggest these choices, in no particular order:

(1) Les Baer, TRS or Premier II
(2) Wilson Combat, CQB or Protector
(3) Valtro

Price range here is about $1500 (Valtro) to $2000 (Protector). All should give you excellent performance and reliability.

For "pride of ownership" it's hard to beat the TRS or Valtro. Both are well made and near custom. I currently own a TRS and a Protector and am happy with both of them.

Downside on the Valtro is that it will probably take 9 months to get one from John Jardine.
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 4:15:45 PM EDT
625 5" IS super. It is also a round gun. My colt govt. model with a actions by 't' tune up will definately keep up with my 625 accuracy wise and do it faster. When I do it again, I get another colt and have it properly adjusted. Having bought expensive pistols, Colt still sells real steel. I just saw a peach barely used sell for 425.00. That is what you should be looking for. IMHO, of course.
BTW, Did I tell you that the 625 5" is super!
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 4:48:24 PM EDT
Colt doesn't make a long slide. A 6" gun is what I'm really leaning towards now.
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 10:03:34 AM EDT
I'm a 1911 snob and have pistols made by each of the companies you listed: Kimber Gold Match, Springfield Trophy Match, Les Baer Premier II, and Wilson Combat CQB as well as many other 1911's. While all are fine guns and would serve you well, if you can afford it go with Wilson or Baer, they are a step above Kimber and Springfield in every aspect IMO.
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 4:39:05 PM EDT
Oh. I understand more clearly now. You mean it WILL be a longslide. STI, look up their website and look at the Trojan. I will spare you the cracks about 5" being enough.
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 5:08:58 PM EDT
Actually, mine's only 3"........

<­BR>

FROM THE FLOOR!

Top Top