Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/28/2003 4:04:10 PM EDT
ok, here goes. my brother in law got a ww2 bringback from his old man. hearing him descibe it, i thought it was a K98. It is not however, at least to the best of my knowledge. On the receiver it has the following markings:
MOD 98 on the left hand side
S/27 on the top
1937 (man. date?)on the top behind the S/27
also has all matching numbers along with eagles crest and swastikas all fully intact
The stock on the rifle appears to be a sporter with a raised cheekpeice in the wood. it also does not go the length of the barrel like the K98. it stops short, sort of like a stock 10/22.
dont know what else to descibe on it. Oh yeah it is 8mm.
any help would be great. i figured you guys would be the ones to ask. thanks.
-jay
Link Posted: 10/3/2003 3:08:24 PM EDT
Yes, 1937 is the date of manuf. the S/27 is the German production code for Feinmachanische Werke Gmbh, Erfurt, Germany. It's a WWII K98 that someone spoterized.

Ross
Link Posted: 10/3/2003 3:11:51 PM EDT
thank you. as for it being sporterized. it was a war bringback in its present condition. something was said about it being a battlefield pickup. was this a common practice, of german soldiers modifying their issued rifles in such a way?
-jay
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 4:30:33 AM EDT
Nope.

Many times GI's had to cut the stock of the K98 to get it to fit in a duffel bag, since the stock itself is too long to fit. Usually the "duffle bag cut" was done in such a way that it was capable of being reassembled complete on the other end in the USA. The shortened stock may be a product of this.

However, with the raised cheekpiece, it's almost certainly a sporterized piece. Stories are stories after all, and the rifle itself was more than likely a battlefield pick-up, but it's also more than likely that's it's been sproterized too.

You have to understand the world of post WWII USA. Vast majority of the guns brought back by GIs wound up being used for everyday tasks. They thought nothing about sporterizing a war trophy because there were so many of them around, and back then a gun was a tool and tools were to be used. There wasn't as much a mystique connected with them as there is now.

Unless it's some ultra-rare varient which would be the find of a century, it's a soprterized gun. Figure the odds.

Ross

Link Posted: 10/5/2003 1:14:13 AM EDT
At the end of the war there were bunches of German Gunsmiths who found themselves out of work. Many of these unemployed gunsmiths realized that they could make money selling GI's rifles. Often the rifles they sold to the GI's had very nice sporterized stocks, but more often than not other than the stock, and a cut down barrel, the rifle was a standard issue 98.
Top Top