Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/23/2003 11:16:12 AM EDT
OK the question for today is...
How does barrell lenght effect velocity in 9MM?  If a round is loaded to sub-sonic speeds for a pistol with a 4" barrel, will it stay there when shot out of a 16" carbine barrel?  How about a 22" barrel? Or will it gain velocity, given the longer time that the gas is acting upon it?

One last.  Has anyone crono'ed this and come up with a good load?  (I know this part belongs in the reloading forum but i kind of blended the topics together.)
Link Posted: 9/23/2003 11:45:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Generally, you will gain about 125-200fps with various 9mm loads in longer barrels. Anything over 10-12in. is not going to add much, even to +P+ loads and while I have never tried it, I would not be surprised if a 22in. barrel did not actually see a small velocity loss, especially with heavy bullets. IIRC, the Uzi / MP5 / Colt SMG's with nominal 10in or so barrel lengths usually can add about 150-175fps to standard 124gr. loads...meaning around 1300-1350 fps from NATO ball. (Been a long time since I chronographed any, though)
Link Posted: 9/23/2003 9:00:48 PM EDT
[#2]
I've heard that the powder is pretty much burned up in the first 6-10" of barrel. I think a 16" barrel is a flash supressor in itself, but sshhhhh....dont tell the JBT's BATF!

Check out the pistol caliber forums.
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 1:27:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top