Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/20/2003 11:47:37 AM EDT
Hello,

I'm an ex USN Submarine sailor and I love my country dearly. I'm interested in purchasing 2 things.

1) the best damn AR-15 I can buy for around $1200 bucks.

2) A good gunsafe.

I have been told that you can pick up some nice slightly used products at local gunshows. I'm Looking for some hints on what to look out for "scams" or bad deals on AR-15's.  I"m looking to get probably a Bushmaster Modular Carbine 16".  I love that weapon.

While in the service I got to slam thousands of rounds through the M-14's and several hundereds through the M-16.   I loved the M-14 killer "reach out and touch someone" type weapon.  But I'm going to be purchasing an AR-15 because of the lighter weapon and the caliber round.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated.

p.s. anygood links on how to get an FFL.

GunHowe  XMLVIKING

Link Posted: 9/20/2003 11:57:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Welcome to the board.

Aim Suplus has the best deals on Bushmaster rifles.  Check them out.

www.aimsurplus.com

If your looking for a cheap safe, Walmart has some cheap Sentry safes for around $350 that holds 14 guns.
Link Posted: 9/20/2003 12:10:41 PM EDT
[#2]
banna-clip

Thanks!  Ironicaly, I was looking at those same safes!  I live in St. Helens oregon.  And well the biggest damn store is the Wallmart...LOL

I'm about 45 mins out of Portland, OR where I commute to work every day. :(  

I live in a very nice area and I will be lookign for local gun huggers.

Both my wife and I feel strongly that ...we need to be ready for homeland defense. It's my right and I intend to exercise that right.

I will check out the site. :)

So do you think a gunshow is a good place to buy...??
Link Posted: 9/20/2003 12:14:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/20/2003 12:16:40 PM EDT
[#4]
So do you think that the ban will expire? Don't you think that it will get pushed back through congress and the house?

I was unaware of that!  So you think I should wait huh?
Link Posted: 9/20/2003 3:51:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/20/2003 5:04:36 PM EDT
[#6]
We have a couple of good sponsors in here that sell ARs: Quantico Arms & J&T.

You can buy a lower (from a FFL) by itself & get an upper w/o having to use a FFL holder. Lots of options doing it that way, IMO.

Lots of fun to be had with AR-10s too!
Link Posted: 9/20/2003 11:49:00 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
So do you think that the ban will expire? Don't you think that it will get pushed back through congress and the house?

I was unaware of that!  So you think I should wait huh?

If you remember back the circumstances that caused the original AWB bill to pass:
(1) Bill & Hillery was at the helm
(2) Bill C. had to twist a lot of folks arms in order for them to vote on, and it took Al's vote to pass it.
(3) a. Bill C. admitted that the AWB caused the Dems to lose control of the House & the Senate; and of course Al Gore lost big time.
   b. Tom Foley of Washignton, the Speaker of the House unexpectedly lost his seat because of the gun issue. Remember the battle cry "De-foliate."
(4) the house already passed a repeal of the original '94 AWB, but got stuck in the senate because Diane Fienstein & company would've filabuster it.
(5) And last, but not least, due to the 9/11/01 WTC/Pentagon attack alot people bought guns. The standard Democatic issues are falling by the wayside, and new issues are how are you going to protect us from terrorist attacks?

Based on all that, the memories are still pretty fresh in a lot of congressman & senators minds. But make no mistake the Dem Central Committe's priority on gun control is real high, and I mean real high; probably higher than even abortion because the Dems are willing to endure even the lost of HOuse & Senate to get anti-gun bills passed. But all the original players are gone.

The general news media blitz is going to be a real intense, probably like a full court press, and THEY are going to pull out all of the stops to get another bill passed.
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 1:54:16 AM EDT
[#8]
I go to gun shows just to manly look around. I hardly buy anything. I just like to look at guns. I think most of the stuff is very over priced and lots of other rip off scams. One that comes to mind is a PreBan Rock River arms carbine with a Tele-stock, no flash hider tho. Another was a guy pushing his pre-ban revolvers. When it comes to buying guns I always buy from the same Gun shop. Sometimes I pay a little more than if I ordered from out of town. But I always can see a product before I buy it. Also I like to keep the local guy in Business, He does have a nice rifle range I shoot on. Most of the time I dont even get charged full price to use the range.
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 8:51:47 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
banna-clip

Thanks!  Ironicaly, I was looking at those same safes!  I live in St. Helens oregon.  And well the biggest damn store is the Wallmart...LOL

I'm about 45 mins out of Portland, OR where I commute to work every day. :(  

I live in a very nice area and I will be lookign for local gun huggers.

Both my wife and I feel strongly that ...we need to be ready for homeland defense. It's my right and I intend to exercise that right.

I will check out the site. :)

So do you think a gunshow is a good place to buy...??

I don't think gunshows are a good place to get a deal on a rifle.  

Just like Troy said occasionally you can get a deal, but that is very rare.

Most of the rifles at the gunshows are way overpriced.

I get most of my deals on the internet.
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 9:14:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Shows are a mixed bag. If one doesn't buy the first thing one sees & shops around a bit, then they can indeed get a good price.

Certainly one can be told a big amount of false info at gunshows as well. Just because a "dealer" says it doesn't make it true. Doesn't mean he's lying on purpose, maybe he just doesn't know any better.

The good thing about shows is if you don't like the price from dealer A, you can ease over to dealer B & compare.

If you're in doubt about a deal or buying used, take a buddy who you KNOW knows what he's looking at.

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 7:48:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Gun shows, at least in my area, are a good place to run across the occasional deal, IF you know what you're looking for.  Also during the bigger shows, some local dealers attend and prices can get pretty competitive.

However, for the most part, I find that AR-15's tend to be hideously overpriced at the shows most of the time.  Anything with Colt or Bushmaster stamped on it seems to be a license to ask $200 over retail even when the gun has obviously been ridden hard (and I'm talking about postbans here).

At the last show I saw an Olympic postban on consignment with a Harris bipod, cheekpiece, and a BSA scope hanging off of it.  The asking price was $1200.  Even the guys who were running the table were laughing at that.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top