Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/15/2003 11:04:17 AM EDT
I have ordered the Ultimak scout rail for my mini-14 rancher, and I would like some suggestions/reccomendations for a scope. My knowledge of scopes and optics is relatively poor. The shooting I do is from close range out to 200+ yards, and I would like an optical setup to match that. Any and all of your input is greatly appreciated!

Thx
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 5:39:41 PM EDT
I have a burris scout scope I have yet to mount. I like it from what I can tell without mounting it.
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 9:47:49 PM EDT
I have a Aimpoint CompM on my Scout.

How does the ruger scout mount attach?
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 11:32:33 PM EDT
The scope mount replaces the factory steel top end of the gas block with an aluminum machined part. It is the stronger than the factory ranch-rifle scope mount, and the iron sights can still be used. Those holo-sights are pretty cool, but I don't need another piece of gear that requires batteries.
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 3:29:43 PM EDT
Jeff, look into getting a Leupold pistol scope with the long eye relief. You'll probably want a 3x or so, don't give it too much zoom or you're negating the whole idea of a scout rifle. They make 'em in different eye reliefs so make sure you specify when ordering or buy one at a gunshow or local store so you can check it out personally. These are the same scopes you often see on long-barreled hunting revolvers in various magnum calibers. Excellent clarity and they can take alot of abuse, and they are some of the less expensive Leupold optics out there.

As for red-dot type optics, Aimpoint, EOTech, and even Trijicon reflex scopes all have their ardent followers. To a certain extent it is up to personal preference there.
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 5:11:34 PM EDT

Originally Posted By -Duke-Nukem-:
Jeff, look into getting a Leupold pistol scope with the long eye relief. You'll probably want a 3x or so, don't give it too much zoom or you're negating the whole idea of a scout rifle. They make 'em in different eye reliefs so make sure you specify when ordering or buy one at a gunshow or local store so you can check it out personally. These are the same scopes you often see on long-barreled hunting revolvers in various magnum calibers. Excellent clarity and they can take alot of abuse, and they are some of the less expensive Leupold optics out there.

This is kind of the old-school way of doing it. When the whole scout concept first came aobut, nobody made a scout scope. Now though, at least Burris & Leupold, both excellent scope makers, make dedicated scout scopes.

What I would do is shoulder your rifle, and get an idea of where your mount would place the scope in relation to your eye. You might need to get someone else to do the measuring for you. Then you can hit the websites of the various manufacturers and see who makes something in the magnification and eye relief that you want. Both the Burris & Leupold websites have WAY more information that you'd ever really need on all their scopes.
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 7:12:11 PM EDT
What can I say? I'm old school.

Actually, for awhile I've been thinking about getting a SAR-3 and putting an Ultimak on it, with a Trijicon reflex amber triangle. No batteries, holds its zero, much faster than iron sights. One of those lower grips with the integrated rail and a vertical grip and you'd have a really nice, really reliable 5.56mm carbine.
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 8:25:50 PM EDT

Originally Posted By
The scope mount replaces the factory steel top end of the gas block with an aluminum machined part.

Where did you get it?
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 7:53:34 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 11:06:38 AM EDT
raf-- Thanks for your tips, of the two scopes (Burris and Leopold) which is a more durable unit? Your tips for my 1903 a while back were invaluable.

The rest of yawl-- Your help is greatly appreciated, this will be the first scoped rifle I have owned. I purchased the mount directly from Ultimak through my local dealer, should be here in a few days.
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 11:23:02 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 11:29:24 AM EDT
Does a recoil buffer change the reliability of the gun? I know slowing the bolt down would be a good thing, my mini throws brass 20 feet and dents the casings on the charging handle...
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 12:53:27 PM EDT
My ranch rifle used to dent the brass too.

I'm using the middle size gas port bushing and the dents have ceased.

It's still tossing the brass about 18 feet. Going to the smallest bushing next.

Dennis Jenkins
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 10:54:00 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 11:20:11 AM EDT
I think ejecting the brass 18 feet is quite a bit of force.

Still going to try the smallest gas port orfice.

Dennis Jenkins

Originally Posted By raf:
The buffer simply lessens the shock of the op-rod striking the receiver. It has no effect on how far the brass is ejected.
The size of the bushing controls the amount of force exerted to move the op-rod rearwards. This is OK to a point.
However, it also necessarily lessens extraction force. I prefer to use the standard size gas port with a buffer.
To solve the ejection problem, change out the ejector spring for one of similar length and diameter, but lesser rate. A quick-and-dirty method of doing this (frowned upon by good gunsmiths) is to shorten the ejector spring a coil at a time until a the desired result is achieved. Make sure to have on hand at least a couple of unaltered ejector springs in case you goof and cut one too short.

Link Posted: 9/18/2003 11:34:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/18/2003 11:36:57 AM EDT by raf]
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 2:10:33 PM EDT
Thanks for all of your tips again. The first time I fired this rifle I sent a casing right into the middle of my Toyota's windshield. Left a REAL nice spider crack...... Anyways, I got the mount today, and will be purchasing a Leopold scout scope to sight in over the weekend. The 2x LER one looks nice to me, although a bit more magnification would be nice. A dealer here in town can get a Trijicon with mount for 369, but Holo-sights are another field where I am gun-ignorant...
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 8:04:51 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 8:45:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/19/2003 8:45:46 AM EDT by SMGLee]

AimTech mount with Leupold LER 4x Scout scope which was build for the Steyr Scout rifle.
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 2:36:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/20/2003 6:05:55 PM EDT by Slacker]

Originally Posted By SMGLee:
www.thermaldynamics.com/pictures/guns/mini14.jpg

AimTech mount with Leupold LER 4x Scout scope which was build for the Steyr Scout rifle.

SMGLee,
I always thought the Steyr Scout rifle came with a 2.5 Loopie EER. I bought a Loopie scout scope awhile back that was marked Steyer.
Learn somthin' new every day.

Edited to change "LER" to "EER". Typo.
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 2:56:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/19/2003 3:00:33 PM EDT by raf]
Top Top