Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/12/2003 3:04:50 PM EDT
Is it okay to use stuff like Portugese and South African NATO spec ammunition in a remintong 700adl chambered for .308. Is it safe?
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 3:14:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Klink-  I asked the EXACT same question not too long ago (7.62 in .308 700ADL) and basically the few responses i got said it was alright.  To be honest tho, even for cheap plinking a lot of this stuff isn't accurate enough to be used for anything more than the most basic plinking.  I've gotta find an intermediate-priced new factory ammo like federal or winchester or something thats cheap but better quality....
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 4:02:53 PM EDT
[#2]
A friend has two heavy barrel bolt rifles. A Remington PSS and a Howa.

Both of these rifles will shoot MOA with the Port ammo.

We managed a couple of three inch 300 yard groups with the Howa. How much better does it have to be?

The Port ammo is as good or better than some so called "good" recent factory ammo.
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 4:44:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Sure if you like running steel down your barrel. Port is nothing but steel jacket with a copper wash. That crap ain't touching any of my precision rigs! If you want to shoot cheap ammo, use the eagle, and umc stuff.
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 5:05:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Ditto what BuLLet said! Stuff's no good for a decent barrel.
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 8:35:01 PM EDT
[#5]
is the SA steal jacketed?
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 9:46:32 PM EDT
[#6]
No, it's not. I have 2 tubs of it stashed away, but.. I'm still not shooting surplus in my precision rigs. I'll reserve it for the fal's,  hk91's, and m1a's.. :)
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 5:47:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 5:51:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Stick with quality ammo with your bolt-gun.....
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 9:34:52 AM EDT
[#9]
I got three holes touching at 100 yards using the surplus Australian .308 in my Rem 700 VSS.
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 12:56:38 PM EDT
[#10]
NO!  DO NOT use NATO spec ammo on your civilian bolt gun.  The 7.62 NATO round is just a wee bit bigger in dimension than the .308 civilian round...and that is enough to cause chambering, extraction and ejection issues with your weapon...I see this at the range ALL the time...also this tends to exaggerate the pressures your rifle experiences during the firing sequence also due to the extremely tight fitting cartridge cases. Just stick with high quality 308 civilian ammo...or if ya wanna save cash and learn a great hobby...RELOAD...you'll love it and when your good at it you can build ammo that will outshoot any commercial ammo and even equal or exceed many "custom" rounds.
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 3:55:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Desertmoon is correct.  The pressures are all within the range acceptable for your rifle BUT the military, that is 7.62 NATO rounds, are slightly larger (the brass is thicker).  It is possible they will work, but don't force anything.  Might want to ease  <---- very important one in, but I'd rather not.  Get midrange .308 for plinking, top grade for practice, and reloading your own for good practice and competition (even if the competition is with yourself, getting better).  a good reload, paying attention to detail in the variables of bullet and load,  worked up to what's best in your rifle, is the only way to optimum accuracy.
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 6:53:56 AM EDT
[#12]
I've done it with my Remingtons in the past, but a good percentage of the rounds wouldn't let the bolt fully close on them.  It's not something I would do if I had a choice, just too much hassle.
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 12:33:40 PM EDT
[#13]
This topic, not this exact topic, keeps coming up. What I'm trying to understand is why do people shell out good money, for excellent rigs, and then insist on shooting cheap ammo?
I think I'm going to go off and put low grade fuel in my race bike now. bye.
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 12:40:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Never had any issues chambering, firing, or ejecting Port ammo from a Rem700.  Groups were very very good.

A 700ADL is not the most precise of precision rigs, but if you want to wear your barrel faster use the Port ammo.  If you don't care how long it takes to wear out the barrel then shoot it with no worries.

Link Posted: 9/18/2003 6:50:55 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
This topic, not this exact topic, keeps coming up. What I'm trying to understand is why do people shell out good money, for excellent rigs, and then insist on shooting cheap ammo?
I think I'm going to go off and put low grade fuel in my race bike now. bye.

Excellent point.  I hand crank ALL of my bolt gun ammo using excellent components and careully weighed charges...it is less expensive yet gives you the best performance possible from your weapon.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top