Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/30/2003 4:55:09 AM EDT
Can someone tell me what that pointed thing is, what is does? I know it looks cool but there most be a purpose for it.
How do you remove the bead to install one of this things?

Link Posted: 8/30/2003 7:48:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Ever see an AK with the slant-type muzzle device?

This is the same idea.

Remove a sight bead?  If it doesn't unscrew there's always a Dremel tool.
Link Posted: 8/30/2003 9:36:13 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Remove a sight bead?  If it doesn't unscrew there's always a Dremel tool.

Thanks for answering, I knew at least one person would know what this is.

The sight bead.- I tried pulling it out, prying it from the inside of the barrel and nothing, I am thinking about using the dremel tool to just grind it down, but is it worth getting rid off the bead so I can slide this brake on?. I will wait a couple of days before I do that.
Link Posted: 9/1/2003 8:12:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Did you try unscrewing the bead?
Link Posted: 9/1/2003 9:36:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Man, that is one nasty looking brake for a shotgun!! Where'd you get it?
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 12:43:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Interesting, look at the two set screws that appear to allow it to be adjusted for both angle and length. Is it just a brake, or is it supposed to be a stand off device for breaching rounds as well?
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 1:30:08 AM EDT
[#6]
I saw it at an auction, he was selling it as a "brake/doorbreech" I understand the brake part what does a breech do?
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 2:28:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Sets the proper distance for firing a breaching round. A breaching round is used to open locked doors. Usually a compressd powdered metal that quickly disintegrates after delivering it's energy to the lock in question.
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 9:13:03 AM EDT
[#8]
"prying it out from the inside"  WTF???? maybe you shouldnt play with guns.
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 2:15:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Hmmm, as you no doubt gather from my previous post, IANAB (I am not a Breacher), but that doesn't look like the best design for that sorta thing. That angle could easily end up flat against the door if you were aiming at a downward angle, say at a knob or lower hinge. Is there a Breacher in the house, who could give us the benefit of their wisdom on this thing?
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 2:23:18 PM EDT
[#10]
You don't do it with your eyes closed.
I don't think it's for breaching personally, but then again, I don't know. I could see how it would provide a standoff, and a space for the blast, but I think what is actually used is more along the lines of a birdcage, or a duck bill.
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 4:05:06 PM EDT
[#11]
I haven't suggested the process was done with eyes closed. I was under the impression that a standoff device was necessary because breaching is expected to be conducted in a great hurry, in a chaotic enviroment and that blowing up the barrel of your shotgun by getting it up against the door would be a bad thing under those circumstances. If keeping the muzzle a safe distance from the door by visual estimate works, then why do we have standoff devices at all?
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 4:23:14 PM EDT
[#12]
I knew what you meant, it was just a joke.
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 4:32:49 PM EDT
[#13]
I did a quick search, and found a lot about the SWAT 3 video game. But also stumbled on this:

Shotgun breaching isn’t limited to just doors.  Shotguns can also be employed to breach iron-barred windows, take out sliding glass doors, dislodge the shackles of padlocks, and defeat vehicle door mechanisms with little, if any, collateral damage.

Breaching shotguns need to have have a 3-inch long stand-off device (commonly called a “breacher”) affixed to the muzzle for safety.  The stand-off vents muzzle gas pressure.  This allows the shotgun to be fired with the muzzle stand-off in direct contact with the jamb or door without any possibility of the barrel or suppressor bursting.

SWAT Article
So what we are looking at in the picture is probably just a comp.
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 4:38:47 PM EDT
[#14]
looks like a comp for a bowling pin shotgun
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 12:59:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Its a crude bayonet. Jab a guy in the gut with that thing, you'll see what I mean. Like a large hypodermic needle.
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 5:56:22 PM EDT
[#16]
I want one!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top