Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 7/31/2003 6:33:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/19/2003 4:53:51 AM EDT by Bob243]
I got a TRG-S in a 338 Lapua, I am expecting it to have quit a bit of recoil(I do not intend on shooting it without my heavy shooting coat)

What should I use for Optics, I Prefer something in the 6.5-20 range. Would a regular VariX-3 hold up ok in here? For obvious reasons, I would also like to have as much eye relief as possible.
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 8:06:50 AM EDT
There is exactly ONE scope that I KNOW would fill the bill. The Nightforce NSX. The Nightforce NSX is the scope-of-choice for the best 'operators' (The real operators.) in the free world. (I can tell you with some certainty that these folks are buying the Nightforce scopes out of their own pockets when they could obtain Brand (X) at no charge.)

While I don't want to bash any manufacturer I will tell you the scope they're replacing is the Leupold. Now we're not likely to be jumping out of airplanes nor falling down mountains and maybe for us the Leupold is fine.
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 9:17:39 AM EDT
A V-XIII will hold up, but I ABSOLUTELY agree with the recommendation of 5subslr5 for the Nightforce NSX.
SWFA Nightforce scopes
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 9:36:21 AM EDT
At the risk of a flame, I will say {politics aside} that a US Optics scope may also fit the bill. Especially with thier ability to build a scope that is variable from 2-xx power, you specify and they pretty much can do it.

The wait times are sometimes unbearable, but from the people who have the scopes, they are pretty damn amazing.

Nightforce is next on my list, although I do like Leupold's, and I don't jump with rifle.
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 3:26:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/1/2003 3:28:38 PM EDT by magnum_99]

Originally Posted By 5subslr5:
There is exactly ONE scope that I KNOW would fill the bill. The Nightforce NSX. The Nightforce NSX is the scope-of-choice for the best 'operators' (The real operators.) in the free world. (I can tell you with some certainty that these folks are buying the Nightforce scopes out of their own pockets when they could obtain Brand (X) at no charge.)

While I don't want to bash any manufacturer I will tell you the scope they're replacing is the Leupold. Now we're not likely to be jumping out of airplanes nor falling down mountains and maybe for us the Leupold is fine.

Have to agree.

My NXS is the clearest, most repeatable scope I have ever used.

The only knock is that it's heavy. But durability comes at some cost.

It WILL hold up to the .338's recoil.

try www.bearbasin.com

They have good prices on Nightforce. SWFA is not an approved dealer and does not always have all of the models in stock.
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 5:33:38 PM EDT
I guess I will have to be the one to mention the European scopes which are the finest in the world. I have a Swarovski 2.5-10x42 and also a pair of their 8x30 biniculars and would have nothing else. You have spent a fortune on one fine firearm and should not balk at spending some bucks on superior glass. Go to the SWFA website as previously mentioned and also consider Kahles, Schmidt and Bender as well as Zeiss.
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 7:54:44 PM EDT

Originally Posted By SHIVAN458:
At the risk of a flame, I will say {politics aside} that a US Optics scope may also fit the bill. Especially with thier ability to build a scope that is variable from 2-xx power, you specify and they pretty much can do it.

The wait times are sometimes unbearable, but from the people who have the scopes, they are pretty damn amazing.

Nightforce is next on my list, although I do like Leupold's, and I don't jump with rifle.

SHIVAN, no flame from here. In fact I almost edited my post to mention USO. (I have an SN-4.) Excellent scopes and with patience can be found on the used market.

(I don't jump out of airplanes either and I too like Leupold's.)
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 6:29:59 AM EDT
Leupold Mark-4 16X

Just curious, did you buy your Sako from Targetmasters?
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 6:40:03 AM EDT

Originally Posted By magnum_99:

Originally Posted By 5subslr5:

Have to agree.

My NXS is the clearest, most repeatable scope I have ever used.

The only knock is that it's heavy. But durability comes at some cost.

It WILL hold up to the .338's recoil.

try www.bearbasin.com

They have good prices on Nightforce. SWFA is not an approved dealer and does not always have all of the models in stock.

To warm up the link.
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 8:14:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/3/2003 8:14:57 AM EDT by RobarSR60]

Originally Posted By HappyJack97:
Leupold Mark-4 16X

Just curious, did you buy your Sako from Targetmasters?

DING! DING! DING! We have a wiNNar! The 16x Mk4 M1 is the best choice. 140 minutes of elevation, so ne need for a 20MOA base. I have one on my .308, and it's the clearest scope I've ever looked through. Plus, you just can't go wrong with all that elevation. Get one from Premier reticles, and have them put a GenII reticle in it. Then it would be perfect.
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 4:56:57 AM EDT
I decided to go with the Leupold and spend the extra $$ on reloading supplies....

Its the Laupold LRT 8.5-25x50 held on by two sets of Leupold Ringmounts..

This is really fun to shoot.... recoil not bad with a shooting jacket

3shots @ 100y
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 8:28:41 AM EDT
Anyone check out the Shepherd scopes? I have a friend that has one on a .308 bolt rifle, and says it's flat out the BOMBDIGGITY. Zero it at 100, and you can easily hit anything at just about any range.

www.shepherdscopes.com/index.asp

I'm going to check his out as soon as I can, and if I like it, I'll be using one on the .308 that I will be getting soon.

Top Top