Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/30/2003 10:06:39 AM EDT
has anyone bought one of these? they are $699 for a 60x30x24 safe. the retail for $1100. seems like a great deal.
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 3:23:59 PM EDT
[#1]
IM theFNG, i believe he picked one up and was very pleases with it.
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 6:56:58 PM EDT
[#2]
I have one and I like it.
It would be nicer if I got a larger one but it does it's job fine.
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 7:19:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Hey, do you know if Sams offers delivery and installation?   Like, bolting it to a cement slab?

Link Posted: 7/31/2003 4:31:35 AM EDT
[#4]
they told me they will load it on a trailer or truck for you. no delivery.

i just wanted to make sure they were a quailty safe before i bought one.
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 5:15:59 AM EDT
[#5]
That kinda does me no good.  I got no truck, and I sure as hell don't plan on trying to move a 500+ pound safe around.  Oh, maybe my wife could help.  

Right now I am looking at one called a Liberty Centurian for $900.  Another $200 for delivery an taxes.  Seems a little steep to me since I saw the same safe on the net for $755.  Course, don't know if that place will deliver and install and for how much.

Link Posted: 7/31/2003 5:59:41 AM EDT
[#6]
delivery is often to the curb, not into the house. they sometimes deliver it in a box truck with out a lift. so now you have the problems of getting it out of the truck and then into the house. a buddy just had to work through those problems. he paid $180 for delivery and it took 4 weeks. we had to figure out how to get it out of the truck and into the house.

i'd rather just buy one and get a friend to help me move it in with a large dolly. the winchester is 600 pounds or more.
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 6:45:26 AM EDT
[#7]
If I were 30 I'd do the same.  Now, well, I value my back WAY more than a few bucks.  More than a few hundred bucks.  

Before I decide, the deal is in my garage and bolted to the floor.

Shame though.  Looks like a very good price for that safe.

Link Posted: 8/1/2003 12:29:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Couldn't you rent a truck (like an F150 for example) and then set up some sturdy ramps to the tailgate and use a dolly to roll it down and push into garage?
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 4:22:39 AM EDT
[#9]
you would need very long ramps. the safe is over 600 pounds. with most dollies only one man can use it. and that is way too much weight for one man down a steep ramp. it's not like loading a 4 wheeler or motorcycle with brakes. you need a lift gate or a low trailer.
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 4:49:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Most Home Depot stores will rent you a flat bed truck with a hydraulic tilt for less than $40.
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 7:07:18 AM EDT
[#11]
If you look through the yellow pages for your area under locksmiths, you'll find that these guys often handle home security and the setting up of safes. For $100 I had a guy move my safe and set it up. He had all of the equipment, lift, rollers, etc., was safe and didn't tear up anything. FWIW, he spoke very highly of the Winchester-branded safes.
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 7:22:54 AM EDT
[#12]
I just bought a Liberty Safe and, of course, they had some photos of the a recent vendor demo they did with a Winchester Safe, a Sentry Safe and one other type of safe against the Liberty Lincoln Series.

They did their normal 10 minute ramp up from ambient temp to 1200 degrees, and after 15 minutes the Winchester safe was on fire.  The metal and everything.

If fire protection is not a primary concern I would say they are probably a good buy.  The lady who sold me my safe sold the other two brands as well, so it was not in her best interest to bad mouth any particular brand, although she specifically asked if fire was a concern for me.

I got a safe that preserved the inside of the safe for 60 minutes as well as some photos and some business cards.  Everything inside the Winchester was devasted, the liner, the doors -- everything.

HTH....
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 7:42:38 AM EDT
[#13]
that is good info. thanks.
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 8:23:33 AM EDT
[#14]
My research into this subject showed the "Winchester" safe is actually made by Granit Security in Ft Worth, TX.

A dealer I talked to, who carries another brand, told me he was most impressed by Granit Secutiry of all the safes he had seen. He couldn't get them as his boss liked the deal he got from another company. This same guy told me the test he witnessed showed the exterior hinge design of the Granit Security (Winchester) is BETTER against fire damage than the ones with interior hinges. Interesting that the test he saw differed so much from the one described above.

I'm a little suspicious of "They did their normal 10 minute ramp up from ambient temp to 1200 degrees, and after 15 minutes the Winchester safe was on fire. The metal and everything." Metal doesn't burn at 1200 degrees, at least it didn't when I was an arson investigator. But then I'm sure Liberty wouldn't be at all biased and would be completely fair in their presentation, wouldn't they?

I ordered a Granit Secutiry 72X40X27 from Sam's Club. It was $1399 delivered to their store and they put it on a trailer for me. I rented a fork lift for $85 and moved the 1190 lb safe from the trailer into my garage, which then got bricked up into a shop. My contractor bolted the safe to the slab after it was in place.

YMMV!
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 10:59:19 AM EDT
[#15]
FWIW, I recently purchased a Fortress safe (made by Heritage).  I took it home in the bed of my truck and my dad (6'1" 275#) and I (6' 200#) unloaded it and got it in the house (we did work up quite a sweat doing so).  The dealer I purchased it from let me use their appliance dolly to move it into the house.  The only problem was getting it around a 90 degree turn into the hallway and another 90 degree turn to get it into the room I have it in.
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 11:36:06 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
The only problem was getting it around a 90 degree turn into the hallway and another 90 degree turn to get it into the room I have it in.

Easily solved using pipes to roll the safe on.. :)

I've moved a bunch of my own and picked up and delivered all that I bought myself. Used pipes to roll the safes anywhere they needed to be setup.
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 5:18:10 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
My research into this subject showed the "Winchester" safe is actually made by Granit Security in Ft Worth, TX.

A dealer I talked to, who carries another brand, told me he was most impressed by Granit Secutiry of all the safes he had seen. He couldn't get them as his boss liked the deal he got from another company. This same guy told me the test he witnessed showed the exterior hinge design of the Granit Security (Winchester) is BETTER against fire damage than the ones with interior hinges. Interesting that the test he saw differed so much from the one described above.

I'm a little suspicious of "They did their normal 10 minute ramp up from ambient temp to 1200 degrees, and after 15 minutes the Winchester safe was on fire. The metal and everything." Metal doesn't burn at 1200 degrees, at least it didn't when I was an arson investigator. But then I'm sure Liberty wouldn't be at all biased and would be completely fair in their presentation, wouldn't they?

I ordered a Granit Secutiry 72X40X27 from Sam's Club. It was $1399 delivered to their store and they put it on a trailer for me. I rented a fork lift for $85 and moved the 1190 lb safe from the trailer into my garage, which then got bricked up into a shop. My contractor bolted the safe to the slab after it was in place.

YMMV!

You're right DaveT, I have a vested interest in spewing maliciously false info.  BTW, is the Winchester safe 100% steel or metal door?  How about the seal around the inside of the door?  Would combustible contents inside give the illusion of the door being on fire?  How about the rubber seal igniting from inside and around the entire door?  That might also provide an illusion of the metal burning.

I'm sure Granit would also have a vested interest in providing 100% accurate information about it's competitors, hmm??

BTW, safes are like flavors at Baskin Robbins.  They will all do a similar job in making you fat, but you choose one I choose another.

It just so happened that Liberty had Winchester, Sentry, and another "off" brand there to test.

As I stated the FIRST time, I bought from an independent vendor, who ALSO SOLD BOTH THE OTHER BRANDS......it would NOT have been in HER best interest to misrepresent what she saw, now would it?  Especially since she thought I might buy the less expensive thought top of the line for Sentry safe.

This sounds like the typical GM vs. Ford, 9mm vs 45 argument.

BTW, the fact does not change that BOTH safes WINCHESTER AND LIBERTY were standing side by side in the same furnace AND the Winchester interior was devastated.  The Liberty safe was intact with the rubber seals all melted and paper still usable.

Enjoy your safe, I hope you never have to find out if it works, as I hope mine never gets used except for theft protection.

Link Posted: 8/4/2003 7:25:27 PM EDT
[#18]
SHIVAN458,

You took a good deal more offense than I intended. (The rest of the original reply has been deleated upon further reflection).

Such is the nature of internet communications.
Link Posted: 8/5/2003 5:55:04 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
SHIVAN458,

You took a good deal more offense than I intended. (The rest of the original reply has been deleated upon further reflection).

Such is the nature of internet communications.

Sorry Dave......long weekend, little sleep and a wee long drive home.

Again I hope neither, nor any of us EVER have to find out if the safes we paid so dearly for are worth the money.

Again my apologies as well....
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 6:33:55 AM EDT
[#20]
This is going to be my last contribution on this subject. It is intended as information for anyone interested in purchasing a safe, not as a vindication of my previous post.

Some more investivation indicates there is no "Winchester" brand of safe. Winchester has contracted with several safe makers to market gun safes with the Winchester logo (good for business you know). Basically, not all "Winchester" safes are created equal.

When I purchased my safe I was not interested in or buying a "Winchester". I contacted Granit Security in Texas and asked them how I could purchase one of their safes. They said I could order one through Sam's Club at a considerable savings. I did so and was surprised when, after going to many hours and some expense to get the 1190 pound safe into my house, I tore off the carton protecting it and found the "Winchester" logo on the door. I didn't want a Winchester safe but it was a little late to return it. I called Granit Secutiry and they said it was indeed their safe, just marketed as "Winchester".

If your considering buying a safe from Sam's Club (which does offer very good prices) do your home work. I don't know if all the safes they sell are made by the same company. Do your homework.
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 10:44:01 AM EDT
[#21]
FWIW I was going to buy one from Sam's, but they were out and wouldn't or couldn't order me one.  I ended up with a Liberty for around $1000 delivered.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top