Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/28/2003 11:49:27 AM EDT
If someone has an idea please let me know.  The front sling stud is not on the front stock and the front stock doesn't seem to have any room (due to the gas mechanism) available to mount a standard stud.
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 12:29:17 PM EDT
[#1]
I found that the Harris #3 adapter says it fits the Remington 4, 74, and 7400 rifles.  As the 7400 and 742 are so similar does anyone know if the #3 works on the 742?
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 5:00:16 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a versapod setup on mine,it attaches to the front endcap mount.They make a replacement for the front endcap that has a swivelmount on it.
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 5:52:50 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I have a versapod setup on mine,it attaches to the front endcap mount.They make a replacement for the front endcap that has a swivelmount on it.

Do you remember what the part # of the replacement endcap with the swivel mount is.  I wrote VERSAPOD asking about their bipods and got this answer back.

Our standard bipods (Models 1,2 and 3) will work on any rifle (just about) that has the Q.D. sling swivel stud mounted on the forend/forearm. Unfortunately, the standard Remington 742 doesn't have this. If you can get a gunsmith to mount the Q.D. stud, then the standard Universal Adapter (supplied with each Versa-Pod) will work fine.
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 3:00:07 PM EDT
[#4]
I thought it was a versapod mount but now looking at it it looks like its for the Harris bipod mount.It looks like the front screw is just extended out and the swivel is mounted off of it.I put this on prob 10 to 12 years ago so I really couldnt tell ya if this part is even still avail.I bought the gun around 15 years ago and its been a safe queen since.
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 7:53:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Uncle Mike's makes one for 740's; replaces the end cap stud & maybe the whole endcap...dunno' since I sold my 740's to get 760's.  Any decent gun store should have the swivel mounts, maybe even walmart.

-hanko
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 7:57:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Yea, I already have a Uncle Mikes sling swivel stud like you describe.  But a Harris or Verapod bipod cannot mount on that stud as it's hanging out there with nothing for the bipod base to push against.  I purchased a Harris #3 adapter and modified it just a little and it works GREAT.  Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 7:04:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Just in case anyone else with a 742 is wondering how to mount a bipod, here are some pictures of mine.  This is using a combination of a Uncle Mikes sling swivel and a Harris #3 adapter.  You wouldn't need to have the Uncle Mikes sling swivel to get this to work but I didn't have the original end cap screw any longer so this worked ok.  I did have to bend the adaptor slightly in a vice to get it to fit properly and I had to make a washer out of the screw they provided.  If anyone is interested I can shot them an email detailing how it was done.  Ohhhhh, I can hear the deer shiver in fear now.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top