Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/26/2003 5:24:13 PM EDT
Ok, I was looking at some M44's today. The shop I was in had Polish, Russian, and some other ones. All the stocks were beat up pretty badly. Some of the actions were quite loose. Prices were $59 a peice. If I decide to buy one, is it a good idea to refinish the wood, or leave it as is? What about the metal? Im not looking for a show peice, obviously! I just want a fun plinker that I can play with, and maybe keep as a truck gun. I also have been thinking about using as a scout type rifle. Any info on what to look for would be great.Thanks
Link Posted: 7/26/2003 5:34:07 PM EDT
[#1]
check the muzzle and see if it has been counter bored...that's where there's no rifling at the muzzle..i guess they did that to try and restore accuracy.  
Link Posted: 7/26/2003 5:39:10 PM EDT
[#2]
So, I want to make sure there is rifling at the muzzle. Anything else?
Link Posted: 7/27/2003 12:22:33 PM EDT
[#3]
IMO,i jus gave one away, it was a Hungarian <sp> and it was in good shape. My beef is it isnt a plinker, it kicks like a mull and the ergonomics sux, its like shooting a 30.06 straped to a 2 X 4. yes they are cheap and plenty full, but i am a person of minimalist, and i would rather have 2-3 good rifles. instead of  50 that are just around. If ya do get one, and you use Steel cased ammo, most of it is corrosive so ya need special cleaning procedures to keep it going. I would rather buy another 10/22 b4 gettin an M44, also , they arent that accurate, at 50 yards ya can hit the target, forget about grouping. this is jus my .02
Link Posted: 7/27/2003 8:15:40 PM EDT
[#4]
AIM has them in the wrapper(as in excellent condition) for $69 http://aimsurplus.com/ , you do however need to have a C&R license on file with them or find someone to get you one.

They are great shooters, and don't worry too much about the counterboring. It was done when the crowns were messed up from hitting the grond more than from them being shot too much. You will find that the bolt in any Moisin-Nagant is sloppy when opened. Not a problem, as long as headspace is OK when closed.

And yes, they DO kick like an elephant gun, which is why whenever I plan on shooting one of my 7.62X54 in any model, I will take a slip on recoil pad with me. Works like a charm, sucks to fire one without it. After about 5 rounds without a pad, you will not want to fire it anymore. What I can't understand is how all those soldiers fired these things in wartime with no pads. It is not something I would want to do.  
Link Posted: 7/27/2003 10:17:33 PM EDT
[#5]
I fire all 3 of my Mosins without a pad.  The most I've ever fired was about 25 rounds at a time though, and my shoulder was red for days.

My Romanian M44 was a garish shade of orange, and had alot of minor scratches and nicks, but nothing major.  Seizing an opportunity, I sanded it and used Minwax polyurethane.  I figured if I screwed it up, I just ruined a $60 gun, big deal.  Plus the bluing was 100% so if I did it right the gun would look really nice.

Judge for yourself:

EDIT: The white on the buttstock in the second pic is the reflection off the setting sun.  The Minwax was full gloss and the gun is shiny shiny shiny now.
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 4:51:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Die-tyin,
All the 44's I've fired were damn accurate.  My bro-in-law puts on milsurp rife shoots and he shoots a M44.  His dad shot one (never practiced with it) and got 8X's (out of 10) offhand at 100 yards.  No flames here, but perhaps the REALLY HEAVY trigger and recoil were getting to you?

Rich
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 8:28:38 AM EDT
[#7]
I have a M44 and a 91/30 and I agree the trigger is horrible but the rest of the rifle is fine and fun to shoot for a few rounds. Where do you go to find out about makeing the trigger better.
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 8:53:22 AM EDT
[#8]
The trigger could use some work and the action is..stiff, but that's just some getting used to. The M44 I have is accurate enough (hitting a 4' rock at 200 yards off-hand easily, constantly)...it doesn't kick all that much (it kicked a little more, if any more, than my FAL I think).

I hear it has quite the muzzle flash in low light, too

I got mine for free (trade here, trade there, swap here, and all the sudden you're out ahead)..and it's easily worth double what I paid for it
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 10:19:45 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted: My beef is it isnt a plinker, it kicks like a mull...

If ya do get one, and you use Steel cased ammo, most of it is corrosive so ya need special cleaning procedures to keep it going.

...also , they arent that accurate, at 50 yards ya can hit the target, forget about grouping. this is jus my .02

They're not gonna be built like a custom rifle, but hell, for well under $100 you cannot go wrong, even if you leave it under the seat of your truck.  They're supposed to shoot better with the bayonet extended due, I think, to something about barrel harmonics.  If the bayo bothers you, the M1938 is the same gun less the bayo.  My 44 groups about 3-4 inches at 100yd with the bayonet out or folded.

It's a fair assumption that ALL surplus 7.62x54 ammo is corrosive, so bring a bottle of windex and a few patches to the range & use them before
you leave.

It's kinda' like a Makarov...the price is too good not to get one or two.

-hanko
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 10:34:48 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
They're supposed to shoot better with the bayonet extended due, I think, to something about barrel harmonics.  If the bayo bothers you, the M1938 is the same gun less the bayo.  My 44 groups about 3-4 inches at 100yd with the bayonet out or folded.

The Russians zeroed the rifles at the factory with the bayo extended. Same with all Russian guns with a folding bayo (SKS comes to mind).

Milhouse - $59 is a bit high for a beatup M44. Arsenal new is only $10 more. I've seen some being sold for $49 in excelent condition.

Shop around a bit.

Av.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top