Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/19/2003 12:08:49 AM EDT
http://www.world.guns.ru/assault/an94-1.jpg

Caliber: 5.45x39 mm
Action: Gas operated, rotating bolt; moving barrel-receiver-gas drive group for delayed recoil action
Overall length: 943 mm (728 mm with butt folded)
Barrel length: 405 mm
Magazine capacity: 30 rounds
Weight, without magazine: 3.85 k g
Cyclic rate of fire:  1800 and 600 rounds per minute variable (see description below for explanation)
Maximum effective range: 700 meters

That's Russia's latest assault rifle. What do you think? In some ways it reminds me of the early AR-15's. It's quite complicated and has bad ergonomics. Perhaps with a little inovation and patience the Russian's can make it ten times better than the Kalashnikov's.
The most interesting thing about it is it's ability to fire two-round bursts, a sniper's dream. I kind of like.
Link Posted: 7/19/2003 3:34:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Actually, they did a write-up on it in the Shotgun News not long ago. The concept is a good one, I think...it's only downside is that it uses a cable as part of it's recriprocating action. However, they say it's *more reliable* than an AK-74! Not to mention it has far better sights. It's 2 round burst feature goes off at 1800rpm...you hear one sound, but two bullets strike the target. It's as controllable as an AK-74 with the same negligable recoil. It's muzzle device, while looking pretty weird, is a goddamn work of art. Sonic whistle, flash eliminator, and compensator all in one.

Really, who cares how a rifle looks; it's all about function, especially in a battle rifle. It's nicer looking than, say, a SIG AMT, in my opinion
Link Posted: 7/19/2003 8:00:11 AM EDT
[#2]
I had heard of the rifle but never saw a picture - thanks !!
Link Posted: 7/19/2003 9:22:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Soooo that's what it looks like huh.
I bet it's fun in the "full" mode.Yeah lotsa fun.
Link Posted: 7/19/2003 12:40:51 PM EDT
[#4]
The History Channel "Tales of the Gun" show on the AK47 has footage of the gun firing.  The rear sight is VERY cool for a battle rifle sight.  I'm pretty sure the gun is fully developed and is just waiting for a customer.  In that way, the Kalashikov series is (the second time I've used this phrase today) a victim of its own sucess--since there are over 50 million AKs floating around the world, nobody wants to pay full price for the latest development when they can get used ones that are still very serviceable for 1/5th the price.
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 11:02:10 AM EDT
[#5]
I also saw the AN-94 on Tales of the Gun, and I've desperately wanted one ever since.  I know I won't get one any time soon, but it's number one on my wish list.
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 11:22:20 AM EDT
[#6]
JUST noticed the effective range is 700 meters.  Wonder if that's really accurate ?
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 11:36:42 AM EDT
[#7]
It's biggest problem is the automatic doubling. No semis for us normal folks.
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 1:10:03 AM EDT
[#8]
I didn't really care for mine so I sold the friggen POS.
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 6:44:33 PM EDT
[#9]
I heard it was not as reliable as the AK-47/74/100 series and that it was very front heavy.

The only thing a civlian would gain with this over a normal Kalisnikov would be the rear sight.                                
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top