Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 7/15/2003 6:36:49 AM EDT
Hello, would it be possible to lathe out your own firing pin? What metal would be best to use?

I need an ar-15 style firing pin, but for a daewoo, so its a bit longer... can I go to a machine shop and have them make one on a lathe?

thanks
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 7:07:21 AM EDT
I've done it on my lathe. I use water hardening drill rod mostly because I have a lot of it on hand. The AR-type pins are pretty easy to make because they don't really have any taper to worry about. The tricky part is tempering it. You don't want it too brittle, or you'll be right back where you are now. On the other hand, it won't be much use if it's beaten out of shape after 30 rounds.
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 7:50:32 AM EDT
What would be the proper technique regarding tempering it?

I am unfamiliar with machining and would be taking the peice to a machine shop to get it custom made. What should I tell them to do?
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 8:19:05 AM EDT
I'm not an expert on heat treating by any stretch of the imagination. There are references out there that suggest the proper hardness for certain gun parts (one of which is a book I no longer have).

The process consists of heating the pin to a point where it will no longer stick to a magnet. Once this point is reached, quench it in the proper liquid (water, oil, brine, etc. -- depends on the metal). This will harden the part to its maximum hardness.

After it's cooled, it can be reheated to a certain temp for a period of time to alleviate some of the hardness. The higher temp, the softer the part will be. If you don't have a precise way of monitoring the temperature, it can be done by observing the color of the metal as it is heated. I don't know the correct temperature for a firing pin off the top of my head. Brownell's sells a coating called Tempilaq that will melt at the proper temperature.

In the past I have done heat treating with a propane torch. I have tempered the part with the torch until they reached a deep reddish brown color. The parts I have done this way seem to have held up OK but I haven't used the guns that much either, so I couldn't tell you if it's the right hardness. I believe I have the correct info at home but I can't get to it right now.

Your best bet is to send the broken pin off to a gunsmith who knows how to heat treat. Most "real" gunsmiths should be able to do this with no problem, as making gun parts from scratch is not a new adventure for them.
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 3:35:38 PM EDT
It's a shame that as big as Daewoo is and all the importers they had, you would think someone along the line would have imported some spare parts! (thank you BWest, Nationwide Sports, Kimber, CAI, Stoeger, Pacific International and anyone else I might have missed)
It would be killer to have a Daewoo type upper that would fit on AR lowers...!
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 10:21:11 PM EDT
You would think that a company that wants to make $$$ would start manufacturing replacement parts for these. Its an untapped market.
Top Top