Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 7/14/2003 9:05:33 PM EDT
I am building my Africa Gun and went with a Merkel Double rifle in .416 Rigby. I'm looking to reduce the recoil without installing a break or porting it. Does anyone have any experience with any recoil reducers that work? Any help would be great. Thanks
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 9:21:16 PM EDT
Maybe you could duct tape a large rolled up pillow to the stock.
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 3:37:52 AM EDT
...Check out the Brownells catalog......there`s a few different types there..........
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 6:06:48 AM EDT
Recoil reducer? I've had a fair bit of trigger time with my brother's Ruger#1H Tropical in .458WM. It is a fairly light rifle for the caliber, ~9lbs, with a plain barrel. 510gr factory loads are fairly stiff, 350 gr SPs aren't bad. Definitely a fun gun to shoot. My brother has a Savage Safari .458WM on order. The skinny little runt likes his rifles big This gun has a muzzle brake. I assume you are against porting because of the noise/blast?

I'd suggest a PAST recoil shield, if you haven't tried one. These work wonders. Other options are installing buffers in your stock. I have no first hand knowledge of these. Gotta have some mass to the gun to tame recoil if you don't port it.

For practise/range time with your rifle, I'd suggest reduced handloads. I handload for my brother, and have a slightly reduced 350 gr load which is darn near MOA at 100 yds. That, and it doesn't rearrange your fillings
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 2:49:16 PM EDT
Some shotgun makers, Benelli comes to mind, sell their guns with a recoil reducer that fits in the butt stock. You might look into one of these. I can't remember who makes them, but it's worth a call to Benelli to find out.
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 3:46:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/15/2003 3:50:42 PM EDT by Noname]
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 2:52:28 PM EDT
Thanks for your help. I'll look into those mercury reducers. I was thinking more along the lines of an internal spring-loaded buffer like they have for shotguns.
Top Top