Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/11/2003 7:57:19 AM EDT
I need some input on the unfinished lower thinking. I have seen the unfinished lowers for $100, I personal would like to see them cheaper, but that’s beside the point.
If I by 5 of them and than complete them, i.e. drill and tap what needs to be done and put in lower parts kits and stocks, and than I put 4 of them up for sale, am I legal? Did I just become a “Gun Manufacture”? Did I make a Post-ban gun or a Pre-ban gun?
The jig to get the holes right and lined up right is 100 dollars the lowers are 100 dollars, a new post ban lower is 299 with guts from Rock River, so what is the advantage?  
I would love to buy five of them, build them, and have the whole team shoot the same gun, but what will happen after I die or quit competing, must they be destroyed because the really don’t exist on record with the BATF? May sound like stupid questions, but I wanted to get a fun winter project together and this is a start
Any feedback welcome and thanks for you help
308 Sniper
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 10:02:48 AM EDT
[#1]
You cannot build them just to sell them. Doing this would be illegal.
Preban guns were manufactured before the ban was implimented that's why them call it "Pre"Ban. What you would have is "Post"Ban.
The point of building them is the satisfaction of building something with your own hands. Also, some people take affense to having thier firearms serial numbers on file. Building one yourself sidetracks this "registration".
Sometimes hobbies are not about saving money.

I don't understand the team which you are referring to but if you happened to die they would be treated just like any other firearm you own.
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 12:22:19 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
If I by 5 of them and than complete them, i.e. drill and tap what needs to be done and put in lower parts kits and stocks, and than I put 4 of them up for sale, am I legal? Did I just become a “Gun Manufacture”?

You would indeed be breaking the law. In order to sell them, you'd have to put a serial number on them. In order to do that, you have to be a classII manufacturer.
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 5:51:03 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I need some input on the unfinished lower thinking. I have seen the unfinished lowers for $100, I personal would like to see them cheaper, but that’s beside the point.

There are cheaper ones out there...$70+ and there are more expensive $160+

If I by 5 of them and than complete them, i.e. drill and tap what needs to be done and put in lower parts kits and stocks, and than I put 4 of them up for sale, am I legal?

No, you are without a doubt illegal.

Did I just become a “Gun Manufacture”?

Yes, you did.

Did I make a Post-ban gun or a Pre-ban gun?

You can only make a post-ban, unless your time machine is working and you make it before Sept. 1994. If it is, then you can go back to Aug. 1994, make it and bring it back with you to the present. Make sure you document it though.

I would love to buy five of them, build them, and have the whole team shoot the same gun, but what will happen after I die or quit competing, must they be destroyed because the really don’t exist on record with the BATF?

Same thing that happens to all your other guns.
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 9:45:28 PM EDT
[#4]
whats a real kicker is that several folks, myself included, completed lowers from forgings before the ban and assembled them as AWs before the ban... BUT... none of us have any way to prove that our un-numbered lowers ever existed legaly, much less in pre-ban configuration.

so... is it a pre ban?
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 10:45:12 AM EDT
[#5]

so... is it a pre ban?

If you have documented evidence and can prove you bought, completed the lower and had it assembled as an assualt weapon before the ban, then its a preban. But your proof better be good enough to satisfy the ATFE and local authorities (if ever required).
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 4:56:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Thank you all for the help, and advice. Neilfj you said you can find them for $70. Which manfacture?
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 7:10:51 AM EDT
[#7]
www.tanneryshop.com

AR15 Lower Receivers

$60.00

Pricing based on A356 T6, for Cmm add $15, cast in trigger guard
add $15.00, for pre-coated add $18.95
Contact us immediately!

If line busy during special reserve your order by e-mail

[email protected]

or leave message on 713-681-0618
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top