Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 6/27/2003 4:37:04 PM EDT
Made the purchase today. Can't wait to try my hand with this sweet little machine. It's supposed to be one-hole accurate at 50ft with ten shots. Too bad I'm not .

Anyone have any experince with this model? Any tips?
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 6:47:06 PM EDT
Chuckhamma',
You lucky bastige. I'm jealous. I've got a Ruger slabside I like a lot, but I wish I would've saved up a little longer and gotten a 41. Only tip I have is, use good ammo (break it in with lead not copper...got that from the benchrest central rimfire board) and other than that enjoy the hell out of it!!!!!!
Congrats.

Rich
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 8:19:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/27/2003 8:30:56 PM EDT by chuckhammer]

Many thanks. I was eyeballing the slabside in the same store because that's the one I had been thinking about for some time. I decided to go for the 41 instead on several people's recommendations. Your Ruger has a nice balance and weight. I used to have a Mark II taget stainless with a 6-7/8" bull barrel. I loved the muzzle heavy feel.

On the ammo issue, aren't all the .22 rimfire factory loads lead? I know a few are "copper washed" or something similar but I didn't think there were any actual copper jacketed .22 rimfire factory loads.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 12:49:40 AM EDT
Great choice,you won't regret it!
A friend of mine has one that we shoot quite often and it's a tack driver. It is the easiest to hit what I'm shooting at pistol I've every shot and that includes the Ruger slabside I used to own.
When we would go out to shoot my Ruger just wasn't as fun to shoot anymore. Darn you Smith and Wesson.. Darn you to..well, you get the Idea.
Some day I hope to own one of my own.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 2:28:28 PM EDT
I've shot in our county's small bore target compitition, my score is none of your DAMN business HOWEVER 8 out of 10 guys had a S&Wmodel41 with them, either shooting it modified or as a backup target gun. I'd say you made a wise choice.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 7:56:09 PM EDT
I bought one a few months ago, only got to shoot it for the second time yesterday.

It has a red dot scope on it, 5-1/2" barrel.

It IS picky about ammo. UMC .22 fodder will NOT feed at all. I end up using Federal Gold Medal 711, about $2 a box, not too bad.

Very nice trigger on it from the get-go. I think I paid around $775 or so for mine.

Pity more gun owners don't buy guns like these to encourage the mfgrs to make high quality .22s and/or target guns.

Combined with my S&W 52, I feel ready for any bullseye match, equipment wise.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 9:06:09 AM EDT
mmmm......good 22LR pistol. Great gun to practice with. I have a long barreled one. I'm using that bulk ammo from Walmart, the Remington stuff. Seems to like it. I'm out of practice, so my 25yd targets look crappy. But my close range (20 feet), I blow the center out...
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 4:55:14 AM EDT

I shoot CCI standard velocity in mine (NOT the green tag crap)
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 5:07:16 AM EDT
I shot it for the first time last night using 36 grain Remington bulk stuff. Occasional FTF. Perhaps it was too hot. I;ll try the target stuff next time.

Very nice shooting pistol. It recoils less than my Ruger Mark II 6-5/8" bull, too. A real pussycat.
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 8:49:53 AM EDT

Originally Posted By chuckhammer:
I shot it for the first time last night using 36 grain Remington bulk stuff. Occasional FTF. Perhaps it was too hot. I;ll try the target stuff next time.

IMO, the velocity has nothing to do with your FTF. Mine did the same thing with UMC. It appeared the bullets weren't perfectly sized or rounded & thus wouldn't feed in the tight chamber of the 41.

I use the Federal Gold 711, about $2 a box.
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 1:27:51 PM EDT
My S+W Model 41 is very picky about the ammo it likes. It is most accurate and reliable with the cheap "T22" ammo.

The pistol would not shoot anything reliably when I first got it. I ended up sending it back to the factory twice for adjustments. It's been great since then as long as I stick with the "T22" ammo.
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 3:15:25 PM EDT

Originally Posted By BobCole:

IMO, the velocity has nothing to do with your FTF. Mine did the same thing with UMC. It appeared the bullets weren't perfectly sized or rounded & thus wouldn't feed in the tight chamber of the 41.

I use the Federal Gold 711, about $2 a box.

I should have described my FTF more clearly. The round didn't jam up against the back of the chamber, rather it seemed like there wasn't enough recoil energy since the slide would simply not strip the next round off the top of the mag. The slide would go into battery on an empty chamber but with rounds still in the mag. Make sense?
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 9:12:21 PM EDT

[The slide would go into battery on an empty chamber but with rounds still in the mag. Make sense?

Then it could simply be a too weak mag spring rather than ammo. I would imagine there's more than enough energy in any standard .22LR ammo to drive a semi slide since it's a straight blowback operation.

Does it have this problem regardless of mag used or only on one mag?
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 9:41:11 PM EDT

Originally Posted By BobCole:

[The slide would go into battery on an empty chamber but with rounds still in the mag. Make sense?

Then it could simply be a too weak mag spring rather than ammo. I would imagine there's more than enough energy in any standard .22LR ammo to drive a semi slide since it's a straight blowback operation.

Does it have this problem regardless of mag used or only on one mag?

I only have the two mags that came with the pistol and the same problem occurs regardless of which mag is used. Everything is new so I had ruled out a weak mag spring.
Top Top