Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/26/2003 2:57:21 PM EDT
I received a brand new mini-14 as a birthday present several months ago, and I would like to make some additions to it.  A flash-hider (not a muzzlebrake) is first on the list, along with a composite stock.  This will be a rifle that I intend to use in all weather out to 250-300 yards, and although it is the ranch series I want to keep the iron sights for simplicity and reliability.  Maybe this is wrong, but I am under the impression since the weapon has no pistol grip or bayo lug that I can legally instal a flash hider, correct???  
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 4:12:48 PM EDT
[#1]
correct
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 4:27:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Bitchin', now all I have to do is find one that gets favorable reviews.  Any pointers folks?
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 4:36:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Here ya go, just a small start...

www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=4200

www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=6059

and there should be some vortexes floating around if you look for them.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 8:15:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 5:42:46 PM EDT
[#5]
I have the flashider shown above with the ring around the front sight post.  It is much easier to see than just the post...  

The stupid flip up rear sight and the stock are things I've yet to change on my ranch rifle...

The hardest thing to find are decent mags.  Don't waste your money on USA, Western, etc...

250-300 yards may be a stretch without a little accuracy work...
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 8:04:28 PM EDT
[#6]
The Mini-14 is a rifle, it can hit something at 250 to 300 yards for god's sake. I also haven't had any problems with Wester 20 round magazines, they function just fine if you don't keep them loaded for a week and a half. I'd keep it on the range though, and just use Ruger magazines for defense.
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 8:21:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Only thing I did to mine was added a surefire light and a couple Thermold Mags. It's one of my favorite plinkers.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 12:18:21 PM EDT
[#8]
The mini is a fine little gun, I suspect though that you'll dislike the rear sight.  It's pretty cheesy.  Check out midway usa, look up product #310422 for a good replacement.  Also check out fourfourmag.com for good 10 round mags.  For what it's worth I've never had any trouble with the 'junk' cheap 30 rd. mags, but then I wouldn't bet my life on them either.
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 11:26:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for all of your info!  I do have one more question though.  Does anyone know if the mini-14 can be loaded via stripper clips with the stripper guide through the breech (ie with the mag in the rifle)?  Thanks again for all of your help.

PS--  I fired 250 rounds of m193 NPA 01 Olympic .223 without a single misfeed, misfire, fte, etc.  :grin:
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 1:59:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top