Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 6/23/2003 6:45:59 AM EDT
I have been bitten by the WWII firearm bug really bad. I have a Garand on order from the CMP already, but I have also been looking longingly at those 30 round M1 carbine magazines and at the deals on 30 carbine ammo.

I have been thinking that the M1 carbine would be a hoot to shoot.

So where could I buy a decent shooter M1 carbine? I am not interested in a matching numbers piece here. I want a gun that is in decent shape (arsenal rebuild is fine w/ me) and has servicable wood that will be a lifelong shooter and plinker.

Any thoughts?
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 8:11:05 AM EDT
Stick to a USGI/IAI one. Don't go with a commercial one like Plainfield or Universal. The IAI built ones are nice though and use USGI parts. The real USGI ones go for some pretty high dollars. It's getting near impossible to find a nice shooter at a good price. They've become that much of a collector item.

The IAI ones are well built, USGI parts, and frankly not cheap either, but you're getting what amounts to a new gun at what a USGI one will bring. If you aren't into collecting, and are into shooting, I'd go for one of those.

They are a great gun. One of the best IMO. Plenty of fun to shoot, and one of the few guns that just feel perfect in your hands.

Ross
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 8:48:15 AM EDT
Ross,

I got a plainfield, and it works fine. From what I've read, they're one of the better repros. From firsthand experience, it's pretty damn nice. The IAI ones are supposed to be nice, but I have heard about quite a few bad apples coming from them.

JW, definitely go USGI if you can. You can still find some mostly decent ones at gunshows, but the price is going up. I saw one a while ago for $450 or so. Kinda beat up, but it would make a good shooter.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 10:01:51 AM EDT

Originally Posted By John_Wayne777:
I have been bitten by the WWII firearm bug really bad. I have a Garand on order from the CMP already, but I have also been looking longingly at those 30 round M1 carbine magazines and at the deals on 30 carbine ammo.

Be careful of those 30 round mags; I have a pile and of all of them, maybe 3 will feed all 30 correctly and well. The 15 rounders that I have all work great, just the 30's seem to be hit and miss. Maybe a new spring would fix that, I haven't tried that yet.

Make SURE you stock up on extractors. You WILL need to replace yours.

I have been thinking that the M1 carbine would be a hoot to shoot.

Damn straight. Recoil's almost nil, it's got enough power to take down a deer, it's almost as light as air, and..well, it fits well, especially for shorter shooters.

So where could I buy a decent shooter M1 carbine? I am not interested in a matching numbers piece here. I want a gun that is in decent shape (arsenal rebuild is fine w/ me) and has servicable wood that will be a lifelong shooter and plinker.

Any thoughts?

I got a couple from my father, that he got on trades with friends of his. One's a blue sky re-import (which was used but fortunatly not too heavily abused) and one's a post-war rebuild. My local funstore also usually has a collection of M1 Carbines for sale for prices ranging from $350 for a mutt (post-war rebuild using lord knows what parts) to upwards of a grand for a good condition non-reimport original Inland or IBM. Expect to ballpark in around $500 for a good shooter. Anyone asking more than $500 either has no clue or is selling a non-reimported rifle. If you lay that kind of money out, be sure to check on the bottom of the barrel, especially if it has a bayonet lug! That's usually where the importer marked the rifle.

I just took a quick look at AuctionArms as for some reason GunBroker seems to not want to work for me. Some of the prices there seem ok, but man, the guy selling those carbines for $1500 and up really needs to get out and go to shows some more.

Good luck with your carbine! I love all of mine and wouldn't trade 'em for anything.

Link Posted: 6/23/2003 10:13:43 AM EDT
Stick with the 15 rd mags. I have 2 30 rd and they don't fit very well.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 12:53:20 PM EDT
USGI carbines have gotten scarce and expensive. Rarely see them under $600 anymore. Not saying I think they're worth that, its just waht people seem to be getting for them.

I have an Inland rebuild I paid $400 for a couple of years ago and consider it one of the better gun buys I stumbled across.

I have no experience with IAI but they get flamed alot on this and other boards.

Check out jouster.com for more carbine info.

Link Posted: 6/23/2003 2:29:24 PM EDT
I haven't heard a GOOD report on an IAI carbine of their FAL variant...
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 11:22:01 PM EDT
Best place to buy any gun, IMO, is a gun show. That way you get to hold, heft & evaluate the gun you're paying your hard earned $$$ for.

Most Carbines are now going for $400 & up. IIRC, Mil-Tech & Fulton are selling them for close to $900 but they look damn near NIB.

Don't worry about the stock as they're easily replaced.

I paid $125 for mine just a few years ago before they skyrocketed.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 12:35:47 PM EDT
I've bought from these guys in the past:
mactec-militaryarms.com/gunlist.html

They currently have a couple of Inlands & a Standard in stock.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 1:54:06 PM EDT
Given the choice between the Miltech and Fulton rebuilds is one more desirable than the other?
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 6:32:16 PM EDT
The M1 Carbine is a C&R gun. Spend $39.00 on a C&R license and order a M1 Carbine directly from from Fulton Armory.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 10:44:40 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ddc:
Given the choice between the Miltech and Fulton rebuilds is one more desirable than the other?

I've only had experience with Fulton. They saved me $$$ on their advice when they could've sold me the parts I didn't need. Good folks.

I have no personal experience with Mil-Tech so I can't really say anything about them.

I would maybe compare their warranty against the other company, price, steps of quality (air guaging the barrel, for example) control, etc.

Link Posted: 6/25/2003 5:16:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/25/2003 5:18:11 AM EDT by Princeton]
I don't usually read the Gun Tests Magazine but a few months ago they did a test on a Fulton Armory M1 Carbine and it got a really good rating.
When the issue of price came up they admitted it might be difficult for some to spend as much as $1000.00 for one from Fulton. They did somewhat justify the cost by listing some of the benefits of which unfortunately I do not have the article here that I could list them.
Basically, what they said was you get a geniune USGI receiver with top rated USGI parts. The rifle has been completely rebuilt & tested so that functioning shouldn't be an issue. The rifle is freshly refinished and a new stock is added so that it would be hard to tell thiers from the original thing except for the stock markings.
By the time you bought a used rifle ($400-$600 minimum depending on manufacturer) had it inspected and had any worn parts replaced ($75 minimum) had a new barrel installed ($200 minimum) a new finished stock installed ($125 minimum) add a sling & oiler ($15) You'd be getting close to the $1000 price tag. Add to that a great book & manula that comes with the rifle and further add thier 30 day money back guarantee it does look inviting.

After saying all that, I'm not suggesting you can't go out and buy a Carbine for around $500 and have a very nice looking and fine shooting firearm. Getting one from Futon does take some of the risk out of buying though and that is what you are really paying $1000 for.

The one from MacTec Enterprises is most likely going to be in exactly the condition they bought it in. I have not heard of them doing any work to any of thier firearms but I could be wrong. One thing in thier favor is they do go into some great detail of what condition the firearms are in as well as post numerous pictures of each.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 9:31:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/26/2003 9:34:05 AM EDT by raf]
Top Top