Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 6/6/2003 6:04:17 PM EDT
Just bought a bunch of the stuff, it's apparently WWII vintage, and I was wondering if anyone would know if they were assembled using corrosive primers? The headstamps are RA 41 and WCC 42.
My thanks to you in advance.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 6:11:37 PM EDT
Did it come in a metal tin....with an odd amount(not 1000rnds....like 768 or sometihng of the sort)?

I've seen that stuff before. Mildly corrosive. I don't know if this is the same stuff you have. Where'd you pick it up? I've been looking for some good milsurp .45 for a while.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 6:46:49 PM EDT
Hey, NAM! They came in brown cardboard boxes that hold 50 rounds. Gunsmoke guns in Springfield, MO is selling them for $6something. My USP hasn't had a problem with them, but my Dad's new Taurus wheelgun has a failure rate of about 14% in double action mode. It performs flawlessly in SA mode. Weird, I thought.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 7:10:41 PM EDT
I think Aim is selling it too.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 7:40:54 PM EDT
www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/copy_of_copy_of_copy_of__32acp.html

Yes... looks like decent stuff. Can anyone confirm corrosive or not?

IF not... i may have to pick up some of this stuff.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 8:12:51 PM EDT
From what I have heard in the C&R circles is that it IS mildly corrosive. I would only get it for the historical factor. I would prefer not to shoot it in a new firearm. You would have to thoroughly clean very soon after use.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 8:43:01 PM EDT
The stuff I got came in a different box, but that may not mean anything. I had a hard time believing that there is still WWII-era ammo kicking around! We must've made ahelluva lot of it.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 9:16:50 PM EDT
That .45 WW2 era ammo has been selling for the past year or so and all that I've seen is advertised as "mildly corrosive". Most WW2 ammo by any manufacturer was/is corrosive. It has a salt compound in the primer and the salt draws moisture. Just wash the effected surfaces with soapy water.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 9:37:03 PM EDT
Thanks, guys. I guess Dad was right--he was telling me that it was probably corrosive but I was guessing that it wasn't. Should've listened to him! Hope I didn't do any irreperable harm to the USP--shot a bunch of it Wednesday and didn't clean the gun...YIKES!
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 5:13:33 AM EDT
Definitely corrosive. I really don't know what "mildly corrosive" means. Corrosive is corrosive. Regardless, don't fear corrosive ammo. Just use appropriate cleaning techniques.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 1:59:48 PM EDT
Any USGI ammo made before 1953 should be considered corrosive.

Balming@Summit Ammo
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 6:40:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/8/2003 6:44:13 PM EDT by Evil_Ed]
The only non-corrosive USGI issue ammo during WWII was .30 Carbine.

.30-06, .45, .50...whatever. Except for .30 Carbine, it was all corrosive. There's no such thing as "mildly corrosive"; that's like being "slightly pregnant". It either is, or it isn't. And all ammo from the 40's EXCEPT for M1 Carbine ammo was corrosive.

When you start getting to Korea, that's a whole different issue; I don't know about that time frame (although I'm sure someone else does.)

My $0.02...

Edited to add: I didn't mean ALL ammo; I meant all US Issue ammo...other countries (Germany, etc) issued non-corrosive.
Top Top