Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 6/2/2003 8:34:21 PM EDT
I'm getting a Romanian SAR-1 soon. Is it improper terminology to refer to it as my "AK-47?"

Come to think of it, for my AR, is my 16" upper on a RRA lower made with a build it yourself kit a true AR-15, or is the AR-15 strictly a Colt gun?

Even the Bushmasters are called EXM-15 or whatever the hell it is.

Or am I just splitting hairs here and shouldn't be worrying about it?

For the AKs, I would call any Kalashnikov design in 7.62x39 an AK-47 and in 5.45x39 an AK-74. What would I call a Kalashnikov in 5.56x45? Damned if I know. Probably an "AK in .223."

So what's the proper terminology??

-Nick Viejo.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 11:32:23 PM EDT
Just call it what it is...the "XM15E2S" that BM calls all their stuff is simply to avoid trademark/copyright issues.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 11:46:19 PM EDT
As far as I'm concerned, any Kalashnikov in 7.62x39 is an AK-47. The other calibers are, I guess, an AK-74.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 12:02:54 AM EDT
I personally refer to all rifles Kalashnikov actions as AK47s. All AR15-action based rifles as AR15s, but I would call it a Bushmaster AR15, Armalite AR15 etc.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 11:33:51 AM EDT
Under the language of the '94 AW ban, they named off prohibited weapons by name. AK-47 is on the list, but "SAR-1" isn't. To paraphrase Shakespeare and ad some lawyer-speak, "a rose by any other name is a totally different weapon that operates on the same principal." The letters AK-47 stamped on the gun somewhere by the manufacturer make it an AK-47. That's how silly a law it is and should be revoked.

Back in the real world, any Kalashnikov-based weapon is referred to as an ak, much in the same way any guitar that looks like a Fender Stratocaster is going to be called a "strat." It's like how southerners call every carbonated beverage "coke."
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 2:40:22 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Moondog:
It's like how southerners call every carbonated beverage "coke."

As opposed to calling it a "pop".

I was born and raised in Illinois so I can give Yankees sh*t.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 5:02:11 PM EDT
Moondog, I'll bet your favorite snack is an RC cola and a moon pie, huh?
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 4:50:42 AM EDT
No offense intended with the southern coke reference! It was another attempt to show how a brand name becomes an alternate term, like how every copy machine is a xerox. It's also in the rules of southern ettiquette:

3. Don't order a bottle of pop or a can of soda down here. Down here it's called Coke. Nobody gives a flying damn whether it's Pepsi, RC, Dr. Pepper, 7-Up or whatever -it's still a Coke. Accept it. Doing otherwise can lead to an ass kicking.

Marvl, RC is just so wrong and bad. The only thing worse was "New Coke."
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 11:58:29 AM EDT
Its soda dammit. Its also a water fountain not a "bubbler".
Top Top