Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/25/2003 12:29:19 AM EDT
I have to clean ,throughly, my firearms, ea. and every one, w/in 24hrs after shooting more than 100rnds out of it.........is there somethining wrong w/me? .........I love cleaning then almost as much as shooting them. UNLESS I get a 250yrd group under 2" that is....OK I have to agree with many others here, when I pull a firearm out, I WANT IT TO BE CLEAN AND----> READY!
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 7:32:56 AM EDT
[#1]
[Butthead mode]You said anal... and tool... uh-huh-huh-huh-huh....[/Butthead]

I'm as bad, although I don't think I adhere to any particular number of rounds. I'll usually run a boresnake through any gun I shoot, even if it's only after 10 rounds, but will do a good tear-down and cleaning probably anything over 20 rounds for rifle and 50 rounds for pistol (basically a factory box for each).

When I bought my Mini-14, I decided to test the whole "legendary reliability" by not cleaning it. Went *1,500* rounds without any cleaning - and without any failures, btw - before I got so disgusted with myself that I broke down and scrubbed it. Really bugged me to keep it dirty, even for the "sake of science".

Edited to add: Shot one mag - 14 rounds - through my G21 the other day & I keep resisting the urge to clean it. I go through a lot of patches and CLP.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 8:59:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Anal, I don't know???

I will break down my AK-47's and clean them once a year whether they need it or not. Some one posted that I should clean them around the 20,000 round mark (I think it may have been a little sooner than that), but I don't want to wear them out with all that cleaning.

P.S.  Anyone how where to get a good power washer that hooks up to your garden hose. Last year, the rifles were a real bitch to clean and I am trying to find a quicker way to clean them this year instead of just using the steel wire brush on a drill to knock off all the crap.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 5:38:44 AM EDT
[#3]

I clean mine every time I use them, but don't get carried away on the bore. At least I know mine will always be ready to go and will work.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 12:23:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Every time I go to the range, everything I shoot, I clean. Sometimes in the interests of time I don't until the next weekend when I'm around to...but, they always get cleaned.

Obvious exceptions are when I shoot corrosive ammo; those (usually M1 Garands, or an SVT40) get an immeadiate full cleaning.

But yes...I clean everything.

And I don't mean just a simple wipe-down...when I take out one of my AR's, for instance, my usual cleaning regimine includes popping out the extractor and swabbing under it. About the only thing I don't regularly wipe down is the buffer and spring

I won't get into Garands and M1 Carbines...it'd take just as long to explain how I clean them than it would be to actually clean one. (Average an hour...I like to make sure.)

Ak's...same. I break out the shotgun swab and clean out the upper gas tube...squirt enough brake cleaner inside the gas port to clean out 3 or 4 pennies...etc.

I don't like putting away dirty rifles. I'd rather they smell like the final rubdown of CLP, not some surplus smokeless powder.

I want to know that should something weird happen, I'm going to pick up a rifle, any rifle at random, that has been cleaned, inspected for broken or seriously worn parts, and has been maintained. I do that after every session, and a quick once-over before I go out.

But, that's just me.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 1:28:14 PM EDT
[#5]
I generally have always at least given a cursory cleaning to any gun I have shot within 24 hours....

Old habits I picked up from my Father , we used to clean our guns pretty much immidiately when we got back from shooting.......

I clean my "defense" guns that are loaded around the house (a quick rub down and oiling) every few weeks whether they have been shot or not....

seems like cheap insurance to me.

t
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 2:51:18 PM EDT
[#6]
I, too, clean my firearms after every use, no matter how many rounds were shot through them.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 7:01:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Can a couple of you guys come to my house? I will buy all the beer and lunch if you guys do all the cleaning! I HATE CLEANING GUNS! MIKE.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 7:34:07 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I have to clean ,throughly, my firearms, ea. and every one, w/in 24hrs after shooting more than 100rnds out of it.........is there somethining wrong w/me? .........I love cleaning then almost as much as shooting them. UNLESS I get a 250yrd group under 2" that is.

I too have this sickness, except for my deer rifle. I clean it Once a year, And rarely put anything in the bore.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top