Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 5/24/2003 5:38:16 PM EDT
Ran some 35yr old slugs that were my fathers through my new Saiga today and was stunned by the accuracy. After coupleing a Cobra red-dot scope to the side rail, I set up shop next to two guys shooting brand new SAR-1s with some old S&B fodder. When the first targets came back everyone who was watching couldnt believe their eyes, there was a ragged baseball sized hole chewed out of the upper right corner of my target , their targets OTOH boasted 6" groups at best. We switched off weapons and I had a go at it with the SAR1, when the targets came back, same results. The Saiga, now adjusted for the somewhat mushy trigger pull, had chewed the center out of the bullseye while the SAR "shotgunned". The sights on the rifle I got were straight and the trigger was identicle in pull and let off as my SAR-2.

Ultimatly the Saiga -12 is a pretty nice peice of equiptment. I never ever expected that sort of accuracy out of a smoothbore....
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 9:45:53 PM EDT
Thanks for your report. Something that can put ounces of lead right where you want it, very nice.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 10:50:16 AM EDT
I would get one just to see the looks on the faces of the sporting clays crowd when i take it on the course! Same with the trap crowd. It's good to hear it'll work well as a deer dropper.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 6:26:27 PM EDT
Sounds like one nice Boomstick.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 8:49:38 AM EDT
Crap! Now I want one!

Can the magazines be blocked to 2 rounds?
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 12:41:32 PM EDT
I cant imagine why not Torf, a little ingenuity on your part aught to do it, they're just REALY BIG rifle magazines.

I just converted mine for use with a ATI druganov stock and it looks very good. For shits and giggles I stuck a black Bulgie on her for some photos and my conversion, while pretty cheap on the finish, looks like an original Saiga assault gun. Cant wait until the ban sunsets in 04 so I can keep the Bulgie on her perminantly w/out fear of the JBTs.

For the trigger conversion I just canabalized my SAR2's trigger. I plan on putting an RSA trigger in the '2 anyhow, so I just wont be shooting any 5.45 in the next couple of weeks I guess. I also put a slip-on "glow" sight and it works very well. I bought a BSA red-dot for her, but I dont want to put it on a rail so close to my face (as a Weaver attachment for the side rail would put it) so I've been looking for a standard weaver base with a flat bottom that I can screw on to the Saiga's vent-rib with a minimum of fuss.

Once I can grab some USAS-12 mags (they can be made to fit the Saiga) from someone not trying to rip me off, I'll have one hell of a fun gun.

That, and with the SAR2 and my ORF Krink that I'll be purchasing on Monday, and my gunsafe will be well stocked....

Top Top