Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/22/2003 5:38:27 PM EDT
Anybody know much about these? I have an old beater that was a corrections dept issue.
Its pretty rough.
Is it a copy of any model still made or more common?
Will furniture from another model fit or where can I get some wood for it?
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 9:24:20 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Anybody know much about these? I have an old beater that was a corrections dept issue.
Its pretty rough.
Is it a copy of any model still made or more common?
Will furniture from another model fit or where can I get some wood for it?

The S&W m916 shotgun is a improved copy of the old Noble m60 <I think..?> pump.  Not in the same league as the later S&W M3000 (Rem870 copy).  The S&W916 is a couple of notches below the old Savage/Stevens M30,67,77...(could they change the  model # enuff?) but as a beater/loaner it should be ok.  I've thought about finding one cheap to practice gunsmithing on (recoil pad, choke tube installation, barrel shortening, reblueing, checkering, etc)  If I screw it up, no real loss.

Numrich Arms has parts www.e-gunparts.com/productschem.asp?chrMasterModel=1980z916-A
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 6:26:09 PM EDT
[#2]
I took it apart today and bead blasted the whole thing except the action. Even the wood(it had years of black paint on it).
I painted all the metal with Alumihide ll and used Birchwood Casey Tru-oil on the stock. Its shaping up quite nice. A few more coats of Tru-oil and I'll put her back together. Its gonna come out fine I think.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 6:39:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Pics???
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 7:51:26 PM EDT
[#4]
"Pistolai" did a gun test on these many years ago. They had no problems with it but said it was for limited duty due to the aingle bar.  Had mine for many, many moons and she will handle 3in mags.  Believe these were made in Japan and was S&W (PUMA Ind.) intro into long arms.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 7:49:13 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I took it apart today and bead blasted the whole thing except the action. Even the wood(it had years of black paint on it).
I painted all the metal with Alumihide ll and used Birchwood Casey Tru-oil on the stock. Its shaping up quite nice. A few more coats of Tru-oil and I'll put her back together. Its gonna come out fine I think.

Sounds like fun.  I've got an old Savage/Stevens pump that's waiting for me to get the same treatment whenever I get the time/$$$ (gun was given to me free, missing parts though).  I'm either going to go with the Brownells Baking Lacquer or the GunKote, though the Mark Lee Express Blue or Brown sound good also, just more work.  
I've used Kramer's on wood stocks before & they turned out alright.  I had to power-wire brush the stock on one of my other Savage shotguns, the factory finish was this awful caramel colored paint .  After some sanding, a slight application of the propane torch (fake tigerstriped maple), stain & Kramer's she's 100% better looking.

"Corrections issue"?  Does it have the long 8 shot mag or the standard length?
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 12:42:35 PM EDT
[#6]
I had one years ago and it was an ok shotgun. They had a company info fyer sent out to police depts YEARS ago about an inherent flaw in the gun, it would fail to feed occasionally. Mine had this problem ever so often so I traded it off.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 1:28:37 PM EDT
[#7]
It has the six shot tube (5+1).
I got it off the EE a while ago and just decided to get on with it. It cost me all of 15 bucks in materials so far.
I havent fired a round thru it yet but I think this thing might feed those 2 1/2 shells. The flapper thingy that lifts the shell looks like it can handle the shorties.
I'll post pics and let you know how she runs when I'm done.
Alabama B of C. neat...I wonder...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top