Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/22/2003 10:05:26 AM EDT
I have a friend who is thinking of bypassing getting an AR for a reworked British 303 chambered in .308; has anyone had any experience with Gibbs Rifle Company, their quality, accuracy, etc?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 10:34:42 AM EDT
[#1]
I would avoid them.  From what I hear, they're bottom of the barrel rifles that they refinish.

If he wants an Enfield in .308, try to find a Ishapore 2A or 2A1.  

Link Posted: 5/22/2003 3:19:32 PM EDT
[#2]
I had one of the Gibbs in .308. Front sight/flash hider assembly was canted very far to one side requiring the windage adjustable front sight to be moved ALL the way to the right just to be on POA at 25 yards. The mag would lock into place but would not seat high enough in the well for a round to strip off when the bolt was closed. It would only load if you applied pressure to the bottom of the mag. The ProMag extra mag I ordered to fix the problem, made specifically for the .308 Gibbs, would not work at all. The rifle would also not extract worth a shit. The rounds would get stuck on the inside needing a lot of strength to pull them out. Yes I tried 7.62x51mm and .308win, problem same with both.

STAY FAR AWAY!!!

YMMV

drew
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 5:43:01 PM EDT
[#3]
That mag problem is pretty common.  I learned a lot about fitting mags from my 2A1.

Dennis Jenkins

Quoted:
I had one of the Gibbs in .308. Front sight/flash hider assembly was canted very far to one side requiring the windage adjustable front sight to be moved ALL the way to the right just to be on POA at 25 yards. The mag would lock into place but would not seat high enough in the well for a round to strip off when the bolt was closed. It would only load if you applied pressure to the bottom of the mag. The ProMag extra mag I ordered to fix the problem, made specifically for the .308 Gibbs, would not work at all. The rifle would also not extract worth a shit. The rounds would get stuck on the inside needing a lot of strength to pull them out. Yes I tried 7.62x51mm and .308win, problem same with both.

STAY FAR AWAY!!!

YMMV

drew

Link Posted: 5/22/2003 6:35:29 PM EDT
[#4]
The two I saw didn't look any better than something I could do at home.  I agree with Matthew_Q that it would be better to get an  Ishapore in 308.z
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top