Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/20/2003 9:21:56 PM EDT
I am in the market for a heavier barrel for my Mini-14. The standard light barrel on the Mini-14 sags after a couple of shots and kills the accuracy of the Mini-14 in no time. Also, the grouping on the Mini-14 at 100 yards, even when cold, is not all that great.

I have my Brownell catalog sitting here in my lap and I was eyeing the Shilen Mini-14 Heavy Barrel (Page 37 of Catalog 55 or www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=12380&s=29109#29109). It appears to be a good choice at .821 across, and 20" long, which would put it in the larger AR-15 size barrels.
Now, anyone out there own a Mini-14 with a Heavy Barrel and want to comment?

Thanks!

[This message is a cross post from another section]
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 9:24:10 PM EDT
[#1]
You might want to go check out www.perfectunion.com.

Mini-14s have quite the fan club there.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 7:30:34 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a compadre with a mini-14 that has a custom bull barrel installed.  The gun is a shooter, but the cost was basically a new mini.  I think Vandenberg Custom did the job, and it lives up to their reputation.  The shilen barrel in brownells is not a drop in, needing drilling of the gas port and final reaming to set headspace, I think.  find someone who can install it first, get an idea of the bucks and then make up your mind.  But they will shoot. edited to add the following:
copy and paste
http://www.clarkcustomguns.com/min14con.htm
check it out, maybe you don't need a new barrel.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 6:35:41 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a Mini-14  with the Shilen crome-moly(?) barrel from Brownell.  It requires less changes to the stock, and shoots good.  I just prefer a stainless steel barrel better.  Shilen has one but Brownells doesn't carry it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top