Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 5/20/2003 9:21:56 PM EDT
I am in the market for a heavier barrel for my Mini-14. The standard light barrel on the Mini-14 sags after a couple of shots and kills the accuracy of the Mini-14 in no time. Also, the grouping on the Mini-14 at 100 yards, even when cold, is not all that great.

I have my Brownell catalog sitting here in my lap and I was eyeing the Shilen Mini-14 Heavy Barrel (Page 37 of Catalog 55 or www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=12380&s=29109#29109). It appears to be a good choice at .821 across, and 20" long, which would put it in the larger AR-15 size barrels.
Now, anyone out there own a Mini-14 with a Heavy Barrel and want to comment?

Thanks!

[This message is a cross post from another section]
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 9:24:10 PM EDT
You might want to go check out www.perfectunion.com.

Mini-14s have quite the fan club there.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 7:30:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/21/2003 7:38:34 PM EDT by carbonblack]
I have a compadre with a mini-14 that has a custom bull barrel installed. The gun is a shooter, but the cost was basically a new mini. I think Vandenberg Custom did the job, and it lives up to their reputation. The shilen barrel in brownells is not a drop in, needing drilling of the gas port and final reaming to set headspace, I think. find someone who can install it first, get an idea of the bucks and then make up your mind. But they will shoot. edited to add the following:
copy and paste
http://www.clarkcustomguns.com/min14con.htm
check it out, maybe you don't need a new barrel.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 6:35:41 AM EDT
I have a Mini-14 with the Shilen crome-moly(?) barrel from Brownell. It requires less changes to the stock, and shoots good. I just prefer a stainless steel barrel better. Shilen has one but Brownells doesn't carry it.
Top Top