Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 5/4/2003 2:33:46 AM EDT
Just a gee-wizz question. Are RPG launchers, just the launcher not the rounds, controlled as firearms or destructive devices?
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 2:47:48 AM EDT
The launcher would be a regulated as a destructive device (DD), and each explosive projectile would also be regulated as a DD. If it was a single use only (disposable tube)launcher, the entire package would be one DD.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 5:22:17 AM EDT
There was an awesome RPG thread on here about a year ago with pics.

A bunch of guys own RPG tubes, so I am not sure that the spent launcher is illegal at all.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 7:08:02 AM EDT
You mean LAWS tubes? They're legal; to make them "workable" again basically requires destruction of the tube, so, after it's used once, it becomes nothing more than a strange contraption. You used to be able to find them at gun shows around here for pretty cheap.

They also make a pretty good bottle rocket launcher, but that's a different story.

Link Posted: 5/4/2003 8:50:43 AM EDT
A LAAW tube with a sub-calibre insert is fun. There are a few G.I. surplus models floating around. Someone who has the skill could rig one up to launch model rockets, which is essentially what the sub-calibre rocket is.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 9:57:34 AM EDT
Thanks for all the info on LAAWs, but I was asking about RPG launchers.......
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 10:43:05 AM EDT

Originally Posted By MSG:

So you're saying someone hijacked your thread?
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 12:44:17 PM EDT

Originally Posted By MSG:

I've seen them for sale, but they've been de-milled. I think that invloves removing the firing pin, and sear.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 3:55:18 PM EDT
shaggy had the right answer: a functioning RPG launcher tube is classified as a destructive device under the NFA.
Top Top