BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/3/2003 10:09:39 AM EDT
How does a sabot affect accuracy?
Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 11:07:48 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't know - just posting so I can find the answer later.
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 4:35:42 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Thanks!

Well considering that most for shotguns are designed to be fired out of rifled slug barrels I'd say they're pretty damn accurate. Some claim enough energy and accuracy @ 200 yards to take deer sized game. FWIW/HTH
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 7:22:13 PM EDT
[#3]
I think he was talking about a different sabot.  The ones I have seen use the bullet from a .223 and have a plastic casing to make that bullet fit a .30 caliber shell.  After firing, the casing falls away and you get increased velocity out of the deal.
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 7:34:03 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Thanks!

They're not the greatest things in the world. If you're going to use them on larger game, that have a larger vitals area, then they're fine. Using them on small to medium varmints though, is a study in futility. The accuracy just isn't up to par. They're a neat concept, and look very good on paper. But they fall flat in the "real world". IIRC, one of the Scandinavian countries tried these in their sniper rifles, and quickly abandoned the project. It's just not a very accurate system.
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 7:47:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks guys for edumacating me!!

;)
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 9:23:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Ever wonder why Remington doesn't sell "Accellerators" any more?  It sure wasn't because they were frightenly accurate!  I tried them in .308 (.224 55gr FMJ in a .308 shoe) and the groups weren't very impressive.

I think Billski has more knowledge on these if you want to try posting in the reloading section.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 9:39:12 AM EDT
[#7]
MoonDog, Just checked the 2003 Remington catalog and the Accelerator's are still available. The 30-06 and 30-30 load's come in 55 grain soft point bullets. MIKE.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 3:17:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Accelerators give you approximately the same accuracy level that you get with normal ammo.  It's not going to turn a .30-30 into a long range varmit gun.  If you get 3" groups, you're still probably going to get 3" groups.  Depending on the gun, rifling, etc, your accuracy may even be worse than normal ammo.  For the most part though, expect the same accuracy that you get with normal ammo.

Usually in factory ammo, what dictates accuracy is quality control.  The more things are the same, the better the accuracy because everything repeats itself easier if everything stays the same.  Variations in cases, powder charge, bullet weights, CG of the bullet, etc all effect accuracy.  A sabot is just adding another factor into it.  Unless the plastic sabots are exactly, perfectly the same, there will be variation and that means less accuracy.  

Ross
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 5:53:39 AM EDT
[#9]
My bad!  Thanks for doing the research Mike!  It had been years since I've seen Accelerators on the store shelf, and figured they discontinued them.  I've seen the sabot component available in the back of Shotgun News and wondered if I could build up an accurate load. When I think hard about it, it's just a novelty to me.

I haven't priced them in awhile, but if you can get marginal accuracy from them, it would sure beat buying another gun and stocking another cartridge for shooting critters.  
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 7:00:05 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
...it would sure beat buying another gun and stocking another cartridge for shooting critters.  

110 HPs or B-tips, from a .308 is all you need. "Critters" vaporize bfore your very eyes.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 11:32:38 AM EDT
[#11]
RobarSR60, you do have a point.  A 110gr HP at 3300fps is more than nasty.  I'd save those for coyotes and raccoons.  I was hoping to have something fly from a .308 that is travelling in excess of 4000fps for prairie dogs and woodchucks.
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 10:42:27 PM EDT
[#12]
I think one of the skandinavian armies (wanna say Sweden but I'm not sure) tried a sabot round for their snipers. 30% decrease in accuracy, but at very long ranges the reduced time of flight of the bullet actually improved overall accuracy since it minimized cross wind effects... that's what I remember...

LRdrvr
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 9:48:06 PM EDT
[#13]
In my opinion, the reason saboted bullets aren't very accurate is because the rate of twist is wrong. The rate of twist is different for a 30 cal 150 gr bullet than it is for a 223 55 gr bullet. What happens when you fire a 223 55 gr bullet in a barrel with the wrong twist? The bullet does not stabalize and your accuracy goes to hell.

Thanks,
Lee
www.thearmsroom.com
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top