Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/30/2003 5:32:56 AM EDT
Gives a bit of a history of the development of the .303 British cartridge.  Not too shabby for a cartridge that was practically antiquated when it came out...
www.african-hunter.com/303_british.htm
Link Posted: 5/1/2003 5:13:28 PM EDT
[#1]
..a lot of good british info out there....if you`re into them......
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 6:54:58 PM EDT
[#2]
I think everyone should have at least ONE Enfield...  They're hands down, the best bolt action military rifle ever made.  
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 5:24:19 AM EDT
[#3]
...i started a enfield collection...nothing fancy just a few interesting examples....you`ll get some arguement about "best" bolt from some people...but the brits did`nt use it for about a million years because of it`s weakness....the 303 round has nothing to be ashamed of...it`s performance is so close to 0-6 that it can stand right there with it......they had just about everything chambered to it.....mg`s..aircraft mg`s...vickers guns...tank guns...what else.....there a stubborn bunch..you know......
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 3:28:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Hmmm…..That page looks kind of familiar….
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 9:58:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Nice article. Too bad Mk7 ammo is corrosive.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 8:29:28 AM EDT
[#6]
ZRH- Clean your weapon after shooting. I've been shooting corrosive MkVII,MkVIII and the occasional MkVI for nearly 15 years.(That does'nt even count the experiments with black powder as a propellant in the SMLE.) No rust. Boiling water, dishsoap, then boiling water followed by CLP does a nice job.

Ignoring the incredibly low price on British surplus .303 because it's "corrosive" is silly if you like shooting a SMLE, 1905 Ross or MkII Bren..

Meplat-
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 9:17:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Ive never shot Mk7. Just commenting on the article should I ever run across some of it.

Most surplus .303 ammo Ive ever seen is more expensive than commercial. Here I can get UMC .303 for $3-6 a box.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 6:44:53 PM EDT
[#8]
ZRH- Egads.. I used to buy MkVII from J&G sales by the thousand.. something like 59.00/1000 at one point..

Meplat-
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top