Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 12/20/2002 9:03:07 PM EDT
I have a NM upper, FF HG, NM sights, SS teflon blackened BBL. What I really want is a flattop so I can sturdily mount a really good scope to it and use it for long-range casual target shooting. My dilemma is, do I get this upper modified (cut, butchered) and have a flattop rail installed or should I try to sell/trade it and buy a flattop?

The thought of those sights being sawed off and falling to the floor of somebody's shop makes me want to puke.

I've never seen an upper that has been converted to a flattop...is there anybody out there that has had one done or seen one? Any and all advice or opinions greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 12/20/2002 9:26:19 PM EDT
I had one done a long while back.
Big Ugly Expensive Mistake.
You better love it 'cause it goes in the crypt with you...

Link Posted: 12/20/2002 11:36:35 PM EDT
Only someone from Arkansas would think of that. It would be a lot cheaper to buy a stripped upper and swap out the parts.
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 6:38:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/23/2002 6:38:55 PM EDT by Arkansas_Rocketman]
I'd do that (the stripped upper)if I thought I could get it all back together correctly. No local gunsmiths here capable of properly torquing the bbl, headspacing, etc. and I have enough sense to recognize the limits of my gunsmithing abilities (slim to none and Slim just left town). Guess I'll just sell it and buy a new flattop. Thanks for the help, ya'll.
Top Top