Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 12/19/2002 11:51:56 AM EDT
I HAVE AN ACQUAINTANCE, WHO HAS A " WINCHESTER " M1 .30 CARBINE RIFLE. HE CONTACTED WINCHESTER, AND THEY HAVE BEEN TRIPPING OVER THEMSELVES. HE'S IN THE PROCESS OF SELLING THE RIFLE, BUT WINCHESTER IS BEGGING HIM NOT TO, AS THEY ARE TRYING TO GET THEIR HISTORIAN OUT TO TAKE A FIRST HAND LOOK AT THIS RIFLE. ANYWAY, IS THIS RIFLE THAT "RARE / UNUSUAL / VALUABLE / COLLECTIBLE"?

BY THE WAY, THE RIFLE IS MARKED "WINCHESTER", ON THE REAR OF THE TOP OF THE RECEIVER. DIRECTLY UNDER THAT, IT IS MARKED, "TRADEMARK". UNDER THAT, THE SERIAL NUMBER READS 10543**. ON THE FRONT OF THE TOP OF THE RECEIVER, IT IS MARKED "US CARBINE". UNDER THAT, IT'S MARKED "CAL .30 M1". BOTTOM OF TRIGGER-GUARD, THERE IS A NUMBER "5" MARK/STAMPING. THE WOOD STOCK IS MARKED W/ A "P" WITHIN A CIRCLE, ON THE UNDERSIDE OF THE PALM SWELL/GRIP, OF THE RIFLE STOCK. NO OTHER MARKINGS VISIBLE. MAG IS MARKED "UQ".

ANY HELP ON THE SIGNIFICANCE OR VALUE OF THIS RIFLE WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED. THANKS, J.
Link Posted: 12/19/2002 12:51:36 PM EDT
Winchester made over 800,000 carbines during WWII, so I don't know why it would be particularly valuable in and of itself, unless it's an original, non-rebuild specimen or a rare variant.
Link Posted: 12/19/2002 3:17:33 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/19/2002 3:32:58 PM EDT
Here's one on auction-
Has replaced stock and is refinished,
so it's not a real collectors item anymore.

The guy still wants $1200.

gunbroker.com/auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=6588367
Link Posted: 12/19/2002 7:44:38 PM EDT
Nothing particularly unusual or rare about a Winchester M-1 Carbine. It would be collectable if it were a complete original Winchester but I doubt that it would be so rare as to have the U.S. Repeating Arms people pissing in their pants. I have a Winchester mix master carbine, no big deal.
Top Top