Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/3/2002 2:14:57 AM EDT
I live in a some what shady apartment complex and I would like as few of my gangbanger neighbors to know that I collect Assault weapons as possible. When I got my first AW (a cetme) I used to just sling it on my shoulder to put in my vehicle. I got some weird looks from D-dawg and the G-yo thugs and decided that it was not a good Idea to be flashing that kind of weaponry around. I soon graduated to a AW case with the mag pouches on the side then I thought: "DUh! Anyone with half a brain knows what I got in here." I want to minimise public vieving of the guns in a non range enviroment while at the same time not Illegaly concealing the rifles. I was thinking about a long brown box that my RRA came in but I think that that would fall under the Illegal concealment laws. What would you do If you were me?
Link Posted: 12/3/2002 2:34:01 AM EDT
[#1]
If your guns are 36" and under, you can use a baseball bat and equipment bag. It has tons of room for all sorts of gear and a seperate zipped comartment that holds "bats" on the bottom. If not that, why not take up golf? I really like that 7.62 iron sock ya got there!
Link Posted: 12/3/2002 3:03:29 AM EDT
[#2]
I use a soft Fender double guitar case, $49.99 from guitar center. Holds 2 long guns, comes in different sizes, and no one thinks twice about it.
$49.99 at this site www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/search/detail/base_pid/540056/sourceid=00345506435099722627
Link Posted: 12/3/2002 4:01:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/3/2002 4:05:33 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I use a soft Fender double guitar case, $49.99 from guitar center. Holds 2 long guns, comes in different sizes, and no one thinks twice about it. img.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/54/540056.jpg
$49.99 at this site www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/search/detail/base_pid/540056/sourceid=00345506435099722627

DON'T put your guns in a guitar case or anything else that looks like it holds something valuable or is easily pawned!

get an old canvas duffel or a large nylon athletic equipment bag.
Link Posted: 12/3/2002 4:19:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Uh, I hope I dont sound like an ass, but I hope you have a safe or get one now.. Since they know that you have a gun..
[:\]
Link Posted: 12/3/2002 5:40:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Might not be much better for "concealment" but I use a rectangular bow case,  it holds two scoped black rifles.  Using a bow shaped case, like a large "D" may be a better disguise but will hold less.  In your situation I like the large baseball style duffel bag.
Link Posted: 12/3/2002 5:52:24 AM EDT
[#7]

Go to a garage sale and pick up a beater golf club bag and put your rifles in gun socks. Throw in a few old clubs to complete the illusion.
Link Posted: 12/3/2002 6:03:18 AM EDT
[#8]
I second the ideas for the baseball equipment bag or beater golf bag.
Have you given any thoughts of  getting the HELL OUT of the projects !!!
Link Posted: 12/3/2002 6:31:02 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm about to begin a new Discreet Toolbox project. (I authored the one on the Maryland site)

This one will be the SPR box.
I'll post photos.
Link Posted: 12/3/2002 6:54:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/3/2002 7:02:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Where the hell in VA do you live???
Link Posted: 12/3/2002 7:04:51 AM EDT
[#12]
I have the same Fender bag and it works great.  However, I am not trying to deter thieves with it, I would simply rather not let everyone know what I am carrying.

It also works great with the guitars
Link Posted: 12/3/2002 7:05:35 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I use a soft Fender double guitar case, $49.99 from guitar center. Holds 2 long guns, comes in different sizes, and no one thinks twice about it. img.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/54/540056.jpg

DON'T put your guns in a guitar case or anything else that looks like it holds something valuable or is easily pawned!

get an old canvas duffel or a large nylon athletic equipment bag.

They will think twice if it is a "gig bag"...Nobody with any sense keeps a truly nice guitar in one of those, much less carries one in it. Get one that says "Samick" or "Silvertone" and they will never touch you.
Link Posted: 12/3/2002 7:07:53 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
SPR 18" or 20"?

18", with a big muzzle device. A 20" will fit in this box...

Here's the box (only $10, at LOWES):

It's a 30" box.
Link Posted: 12/3/2002 7:22:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Here is my "machinegun bag", which was a gift from work for 5 years of service.

Link Posted: 12/3/2002 7:45:26 AM EDT
[#16]
Jeez Ponyboy, did we see you in the Matrix??
Link Posted: 12/3/2002 8:46:47 AM EDT
[#17]
Get a retangular hard case and wrap it in christmas wrapping paper and a bow. Tis the season you know.
Link Posted: 12/3/2002 9:46:31 AM EDT
[#18]
I transport my DSA SA-58 Carbine (38") in one of those nylon folding chairs bags they sell at Wal-Mart for like $10.  
Link Posted: 12/3/2002 10:56:27 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I'm about to begin a new Discreet Toolbox project. (I authored the one on the Maryland site)

This one will be the SPR box.
I'll post photos.

Are you going to write up the new one too?  If so, I'd love to know when its done.

Also, where do you get it, and what kind of foam are you using?

FOTBR
Link Posted: 12/3/2002 11:45:54 AM EDT
[#20]
You might also consider a leather or heavy nylon hanging garment bag (so it looks like you're only transporting a suit or coat in and out of your place).  Obviously, if its the fold-over type, don't.  Just carry it by the hangar at one end so you get the full length of the bag for your weapon, and keep it straight so there's no telltale bulges.  You probably don't have to worry unless D-dawg is going for that clean cut, conservative, suit & tie look lately.

Another possibility is a large art portfolio such as those sold by Pearl Paint. They max out at about 3-4" deep, but would be good for transporting a relatively thin rifle or a few handguns.  Of course, it looks like you're just another poor starving artist or art student schlepping your worthless still-lifes around town.  Unless D-dawg happens to be an art collector, you'll probably be fine.
Link Posted: 12/3/2002 12:11:34 PM EDT
[#21]
WOW....thanks for all the great Ideas...I didn't expect this much responce in one day.
Any way Sombody asked me what gheto part of VA i live in and its VA beach... Saddly  I live in a fairly low rent Complex and if its low rent for me its low rent for all the scum bags too.

One question. Do any of these ideas  fall into the gray area with regads to the illegal concealment laws? I just want to know if a boy in blue pulls me over and asks if I have any guns Can I say.."Sir 2 rifles in guitar cases in the back seat"...with confidence.

JIM
Link Posted: 12/3/2002 12:21:11 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
WOW....thanks for all the great Ideas...I didn't expect this much responce in one day.
Any way Sombody asked me what gheto part of VA i live in and its VA beach... Saddly  I live in a fairly low rent Complex and if its low rent for me its low rent for all the scum bags too.

One question. Do any of these ideas  fall into the gray area with regads to the illegal concealment laws? I just want to know if a boy in blue pulls me over and asks if I have any guns Can I say.."Sir 2 rifles in guitar cases in the back seat"...with confidence.

JIM

Hey Him,

That was me who asked where you were.

Sadly, I live in "Upscale" Reston and I don't want my neighbors to know about my interests either.  I load my car in my garage, door closed to keep from prying eyes.

I suspect any case closed and out of arms reach is OK.  Especially if you lock the ammo away are the guns are unloaded.  No need to point out the fact that they are in a guitar case.  FYI, my wife's pistols are transported to the range in an Eddie Bauer bag.

regards,

ww
Link Posted: 12/3/2002 12:50:16 PM EDT
[#23]
It's a batbag for me too. Totally concealed. Although the seat bags sounds like a good idea as well.

WW,
Used to live in Reston, BTW. Still go to church there.

DD
Link Posted: 12/3/2002 1:00:03 PM EDT
[#24]
The Art Portfolio is a great idea.

The foam to use is dense grey packing foam.
It can be found here:

www.canalrubber.com/9.html

A 2" sheet for the lower, and a 3" sheet for the upper.

Some thin rubber (like the kind used to pad the top of a mechanic's chest), for the bottom of the box.

When I write it up, I'll post it a , with how-to photos.
Link Posted: 12/3/2002 1:27:40 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
It's a batbag for me too. Totally concealed. Although the seat bags sounds like a good idea as well.

WW,
Used to live in Reston, BTW. Still go to church there.

DD

Hey DD,

Reston eh? a true Liberal bastion right here in NoVA.

I hid my Colt Junior on a recent trip to Costco in Sterling by keeping it on my dashboard while driving and holstered on my hip in the store...I believe no one saw it!
Link Posted: 12/3/2002 2:24:17 PM EDT
[#26]
I moved from city to city in my younger days and lived in many apartment complexes.  One thing I learned was that the bad eggs seek each other out all most like shit floats. I use to hide my guns on the way to the range like you and usually in a guitar case but hey they like to steal guitars too.  One day I got the idea to just carry it out. The first bad egg I saw that dropped his mounth open. I stopped and talked to him about guns and booby traps.  I was suddenly treated with awe and respect.  I never got broken in on.

Sometimes it pays for the bad guys to know Crazy Bill's got a gun.
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 4:40:26 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Hey DD,

Reston eh? a true Liberal bastion right here in NoVA.

I hid my Colt Junior on a recent trip to Costco in Sterling by keeping it on my dashboard while driving and holstered on my hip in the store...I believe no one saw it!

Was at that costco just this weekend. (I also go the the samsclub at Dulles Town Center and the Fairfax costco.) Gald to know i am not the only armed dude in that joint

Re Reston - yeah pretty liberal - ive moved further west of Chantilly in Loudoun County - much better.
DD
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top