Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/29/2002 5:59:30 AM EDT
My father in law has a real itch for a stainless 6mm Remington.  I was telling him that all he had to do was run a 6mm reamer in a stainless 243 and he'd be good to go.  

Is it really that easy?  I don't have my reloading manuals with me (not at home) so i was unable to check the rim size.  If I'm not mistaken they are the same, and the 6mm is a slightly longer round with a sharper neck.  

What do yall think?  Jim
Link Posted: 11/29/2002 6:19:11 AM EDT
[#1]
You're right about the head size.  The only possible problem w/the conversion would be to make sure the magazine length is sufficient to handle the longer 6mm round.  If that's no problem, get the piece to a 'smith with a 6mm chambering reamer and go for it.
Link Posted: 11/29/2002 7:10:25 AM EDT
[#2]
I doubt a 'Smith will want to touch this job.
There's too great a chance that the reamer will not bore straight due to the size of the 243 chamber already there. If he "needs" a new rig (Totally understandable) I'd steer him to a 243 Ackley. I assume he has a 24 or greater length barrel otherwise the gain would be negligable.
I had a 243 ackley for a while built on a long action with an 8" twist 28" barrel.

Link Posted: 11/29/2002 8:53:48 AM EDT
[#3]
I didn't think about the difficulty associated with using a reamer that is so close in size to the current caliber.  

At least logistically the conversion will work.

I know there are many better calibers but he loves his 6mm.  I think it was one of the first calibers he hunted deer with.  He was wanted to get an action and rebarrel it, I was just trying to find a less expensive alternative for him.  Jim
Link Posted: 11/29/2002 2:01:07 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd call a couple gunsmiths and ask if they have a 6mm take-off.
Try www.varminthunters.com as well.
If I had one it would be his for postage.
I'm sure he could find a even swap as the 243 brass and ammo are more plentiful.
Spending even more of his hard earned:
There's a resurgence in interest in the 6mm Rem. reamed short to use 22-250 brass.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top