Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/27/2002 4:46:10 PM EDT
I need to find a good quality 40rd mag for the Mini 14.  Does anyone have a good idea of where I can find one?
Link Posted: 11/27/2002 4:58:24 PM EDT
[#1]
I thought I just saw some in Cheaper Than Dirt.

www.cheaperthandirt.com
Link Posted: 11/27/2002 5:07:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/27/2002 5:17:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Frank's Center has been advertising them in Shotgun News for a long time.  40 Round blue NIB PMI $59.95, Nickel $64.95.  1-800-666-9190

Dealt with him a few years ago, he was fair enough, did a return with no hassle. He's got 30 round PMI blued NIB for $39.95 a piece too.

Stick with PMI, the only quirk is to insert them into a Mini, the top round must be on the left, no matter how many rounds are in the mag, otherwise they are a bit tricky to insert with a closed bolt.  With an open bolt, this quirk is not an issue.  Other than that, PMI's function perfectly.
Link Posted: 11/28/2002 12:39:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/28/2002 2:23:12 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I need to find a good quality 40rd mag for the Mini 14.  Does anyone have a good idea of where I can find one?

Man, you are asking the wrong guy about Mags for the Mini 14.  I never found any 40 round PMI mags that were affordable.  

All the 40 rounders I've found off of cheaper than dirt were crap, and wouldn't feed.

I must have 10 40 round magazines for that rifle that are complete CRAP!!  Some have the hole at the front of the mag in the wrong place.

Any decent functioning mags are going to be pricey.

www.deltaforce.com has the PMI 40 rounders for 69.95 each, and 30 rounders for 39.95.

www.firequest.com has thermold 28/45 round mags for 99.99 each, and they also have PMI 40 rounders for 69.99 each.  I do not know how the Thermolds function.

I personally stick with the PMI 30 rounders, and the John Mason 30 rnd. mags.  DO NOT BUY THE JOHN MASON MAGS FROM www.gunaccessories.com. they were useless.  Looked great, but didn't feed worth a damn.

www.riflescopes.com sold me 2 John Mason 30 rndrs. for 29.95 each, which looked identical to the mags from gunaccessories.com, but they worked GREAT (go figure). You have to call them as they do not list it on their web site.  They also have PMI mags, I do not know if they have 40 rounders, you would have to ask.

Also, Numrich Gun Parts Corp has 40 rounders. www.e-gunparts.com/product.asp?chrProductSKU=825930.  I've read that these are PMI mags, but the website does not have them listed as such.  Call and ask.

If they are PMI mags, they are at a great price.

You can also go to www.google.com, and do a search for Mini 14 High Capacity Magazines, and you get a pretty good return on the search.

Also, charginghandle had posted a link to a URL that I cannot remember, that had some real nice 10 round mags.  Might e-mail him and ask.

Hope this helps spare you the headaches I've been through.

Link Posted: 11/28/2002 3:58:01 AM EDT
[#6]
I have a Mini 14 and have found it will successfully feed about every mag made for the gun not like my AR.  I really like my Rugers which seem to be of superior workmanship but the aftermarkets sold by Sportsmansguide or Cheaperthandirt work just as well.

Advice I would give is the 40s are really long and care should be taken not to keep them loaded up for it will cause the spring to take a set and not apply enough force on the last couple of rounds.

Great plinker, enjoy.
Link Posted: 11/28/2002 4:11:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Whoops, thought I better mention. My mini is a mod 181 which is over 15 years old.  I don't know if this makes a differance but would suspect it does.  Don't know if newer mods or lots are more less tolerant of different mags.  

I did make the mistake of buying cheap aftermarkets for my AR and was not happy to say the least.  The two 30 wouldn't even fit in the receiver let alone feed rounds.  The two 40s perform well but a 50% hit ratio sucks.  If you are looking for safe for sure. I have had excellent results everytime with Thermolds although pricy.
Link Posted: 11/28/2002 5:54:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Was just taking my morning..er...ah...look at the Shot Gun News and see an out fit called Frank's Center, out of Nevada MO., has them for $50 and $55 for Stnls.

1-(800) 666-9190.  No web site I can see.
Link Posted: 11/28/2002 7:15:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Before you drop the money, I feel I should mention there isn't a whole lot of use for a 40 rounder in a mini.  I have 5 of them and I only used one a couple times.  You won't beleive how hot the gun will get.  What little accuracy the gun has to begin with drops off to about minute-of-broadside-of-aircraft carrier.  Buying them becuase you want them is fine, of course.  I just wanted you to know what the deal is with them.  I bought mine almost ten years ago when they were $20-$25, so it wasn't like there was much to lose.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top