Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/13/2002 7:34:22 AM EDT
Went out this morning in hopes to fill a doe tag. I took my 22-250 "just to see what it would do". I had 2 iffy shots at does and passed them up. Seconds later, a 7 point with some obviously poor genetics walked out and gave me a shot I couldn't refuse.
I put the pill right behind his shoulder. He ran about 30 yards and piled up. NO blood trail whatsoever. Weighed about 150 on the hoof.
DAMAGE ASSESSMENT: I walked up to him and saw a nice little entrance hole on rear of shoulder, rolled him and found no exit. I could tell there was some major internal damage from all the swelling. When dressing him I found a DESTROYED shoulder and no recognizable vitals.
CONCLUSION: Will I use my 22-250 again? You Damn right! No, I wouldn't try it on bigger northern white tails but for Georgia stock I now feel VERY comfortable with it.
I'm just giving MY opinion and experience on the round. I'm not trying to start the "BIG DEBATE" again.
Can you smell the tenderloins grilling?
Link Posted: 11/13/2002 8:13:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Try a .223 with a 55gr SP.  It knocks CA mule deer down up to about 225yds and doesn't cause all that explosive meat damage as does a .22-250.

When I switched to my .223 from my .22-250, I ended up saving more edible meat for the table.  The .223 does a great job on deer out here without all the "wasting".

Try it, you'll like the difference.
Link Posted: 11/13/2002 8:37:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Try a 30" Easton 2213 with a 100 grain Thunder Head.
Link Posted: 11/13/2002 11:33:29 AM EDT
[#3]
What bullet weight were you using?
Link Posted: 11/13/2002 11:49:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Yes! We need bullet weight and style (and brand as well!). I have been thinking about trying the 64gr Winchester PowerPoint (.223) for deer in Missouri, but I'm not quite sure yet. Or I'll just use my friend's .280 and not worry too much.
Link Posted: 11/14/2002 5:42:59 AM EDT
[#5]
I was using 55 grain ballistic tips by Georgia Ammo. (I think thats what their name is.)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top