Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/12/2002 6:45:35 PM EDT
Are these worth paying the high price?? They sure look and sound interesting. Cheaper than a Galil but with high quality?
Does anyone have one or a friend who has one that can tell me anything? What models are most worth while to own?? I know mag availability sux but Tony Rumore makes them from time to time.
Link Posted: 11/12/2002 7:05:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I have 2 of these, both unfired. They are excellent ak variants. Both of mine are model 76's, one is in 308 with plastic furniture, and a forged receiver, the second is in 223 with a folding stock. Fit and finish is superb. I have no experience firing them, but, from what I've read they are at the top of the ak type weapons.
Link Posted: 11/12/2002 7:16:54 PM EDT
[#2]

IMO, Valmets and Galil are comparable, great AK variants.  I like Galil because of the mags are less expensive (compared to Valmets), easy to find.  Or you can have an adaptor and use AR mags.
 1 yr ago, I was thinking about the Valmet, but
the cost of mags, and mag avail. changed my mind.
Link Posted: 11/13/2002 10:01:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Best AK variant ever made = Finnish Valmet and Sako assault rifles.
Link Posted: 11/13/2002 2:44:02 PM EDT
[#4]
I've read the barrel throats on the 7.62x39 models are machined in a unique manner, increasing accuracy of the cartridge compared to most other standard calibre AK's.

Link Posted: 11/14/2002 12:24:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Actually, it's the uniqueness of all the other AK barrel throats that accounts for the mediocre accuracy of all but the Valmet pieces.  The Finns just went ahead and used a standard type throat, instead of the long tapered throat that the Russians instituted, which was copied by all the other AK building countries except Finland.

Best shooting 7.62x39 rifle I've ever owned was the M62 Valmet I bought around 1973.  Sadly it was stolen from me many years ago.  I do now have a 7.62 NATO piece, and have very mixed feelings about it.  It shoots well enough, but it's on it's third firing pin. Doesn't break them during live fire, but dry firing is poisonous to them.  The folding stocks on the late versions are horrible to fire, but the Galil folder fits right on perfectly.  Don't have to change the hinge, just the rear stock piece.  Fortunately, I got 4 mags when I bought the thing, and don't feel the need for more.

By the way, I wouldn't count on Tromix for any more mags.  Last I heard, he'd closed up shop, tho I suppose he could reopen it any time he's a mind to.
Link Posted: 11/14/2002 12:56:12 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Actually, it's the uniqueness of all the other AK barrel throats that accounts for the mediocre accuracy of all but the Valmet pieces.  The Finns just went ahead and used a standard type throat, instead of the long tapered throat that the Russians instituted, which was copied by all the other AK building countries except Finland.

Best shooting 7.62x39 rifle I've ever owned was the M62 Valmet I bought around 1973.  Sadly it was stolen from me many years ago.  I do now have a 7.62 NATO piece, and have very mixed feelings about it.  It shoots well enough, but it's on it's third firing pin. Doesn't break them during live fire, but dry firing is poisonous to them.  The folding stocks on the late versions are horrible to fire, but the Galil folder fits right on perfectly.  Don't have to change the hinge, just the rear stock piece.  Fortunately, I got 4 mags when I bought the thing, and don't feel the need for more.

By the way, I wouldn't count on Tromix for any more mags.  Last I heard, he'd closed up shop, tho I suppose he could reopen it any time he's a mind to.

Tromix is open again
Link Posted: 11/14/2002 3:34:26 PM EDT
[#7]
I am shipping Valmet mags everyday and will keep doing so, until the current demand is filled.

I have owned about 12 Valmets and have one .223 Galil ARM.  The Valmets are extremely accurate and years ago, I took a model 76 .223 folder to the local DCM match and shot a 421 out of 500 with it.  There were no other shooters that even broke 400 and there were plenty of veteran AR-15 and M1A shooters on the line.  With a scope in place, this same gun will shoot sub-MOA all day long.  I think the Valmet is worth the money, but the Galil is not.  I really like the Galil, but for that kind of money, I'll take a pair of Valmets instead.

Tony Rumore
Tromix Corp

Link Posted: 11/14/2002 4:26:53 PM EDT
[#8]
What the heck do you guys do for spare parts? Does somebody import or make them still? That right there would be an advantage with the Galil. You can find a dealer that can get new spare parts through Botach I think, and it is legal because you're using it for an old preban gun.

themao

Got ice picks?
Link Posted: 11/14/2002 6:58:02 PM EDT
[#9]
I think I read about a variant(76 I believe)chambered in 7.62x.39,that accepts common AK 30 round mags.

That'd be the one to get in my mind.

I'd love to own one of these rifles too,but I really never see them for sale anymore.
Link Posted: 11/15/2002 12:03:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Tony,

Happy to hear you're back in business.  Question bout the .308 firing pins. Have you ever figured out how to keep 'em from breaking?
Valmet attempted it by making the spring so strong that the pin couldn't impact the channel taper hard enough to break it, but sooner or later, the darned spring goes, and shortly thereafter the tip of the pin.

I always figured that a firing pin that impacted on a shoulder against the retaining pin, a la the Galil .223, would hold up well.  Any thoughts on the subject????
Link Posted: 11/15/2002 1:27:23 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I think I read about a variant(76 I believe)chambered in 7.62x.39,that accepts common AK 30 round mags.

I'd love to own one of these rifles too,but I really never see them for sale anymore.

All of the 7.62x39 chambered Valmet and Sako rifles accept ordinary AK magazines, be it either 30, 40 round magazines or drum magazines.

Link Posted: 11/15/2002 1:32:48 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

All of the 7.62x39 chambered Valmet and Sako rifles accept ordinary AK magazines, be it either 30, 40 round magazines or drum magazines.

Kiitos, Tuukka, always wondered about that...
Link Posted: 11/15/2002 6:03:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Ahh......Thats good to know.

Now I want one even more.

Thanks Tuukka!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top