Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/8/2002 7:57:42 AM EDT
I have been an avid pistol shooter and shotgun hunter for most of my life.  Last November, I decided it was time to buy a Mini-30 and do some rifle shooting.

I have recently been "Jones-ing" for an AR-15 but I am completely clueless and need some education.  Prowling around various websites and gun shops, I have made the decision to purchase a Bushmaster.

Now which model should a AR-15 newbie buy?  My goal is to do some plinking and become proficient with the weapon.  I won't be out there every weekend but intend to push many rounds through it.  And in these days of scary events, I always want to leave open the possibility it could be used for defense.

I'm looking at the Bushmaster M4, A2S 16" and AS2 20" Target.  I guess I'm looking for some guidance as to what are the decision points for making this purchase.

Is there a AR-15's for Dummies FAQ somewhere?  These guns are a lot more complex than my Ruger 10/22.

- Mark
Link Posted: 11/8/2002 8:51:33 AM EDT
[#1]
old.ar15.com/docs/primer/

Try this for some basic background type info.

You'll love the Bushy M4 A2 for target shooting.  I've got about 5000 rounds through mine.  I recommend breaking it down and cleaning it when you first get it, mine had a black sludge over everything which produced some undesirable effects the first time I took it out.  If you're looking into mounting optics, you might want to consider and A3 (removable carry handle).  It gives you a few more options for mounting them as opposed to the A2.
Link Posted: 11/8/2002 11:01:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Welcome

Edited to add: use the search button on the old ar15.com

Wait a little while and a valuable SEARCH button will reappear[new ar15com] and this tool will give you a lot of information to check the different brands.

Cant really go "wrong" with the rifles you have picked.

I shot mainly 3 gun matches with mine and the 16" flat top with a EO-tech red dot work well for me.

Link Posted: 11/8/2002 11:42:21 AM EDT
[#3]
FAQ?  Primer?  Of course that is why we set up:

www.MD-AR15.com The Maryland AR-15 Shooters Site.

I'll recommend you start with the FAQ then go to the AR Articles section, there are several articles aimed right at people like yourself who are new to these rifles.
Link Posted: 11/8/2002 5:40:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Depends what you are going for.

I primarily shoot rifles, with their historical significance as part of my enjoyment, and feel a 20", A2 (non-removable handle) is closest to the most widely issued AR.

You might want to consider an A3 type model, with a removable handle, if you want to mount optics on it.

I prefer a 20" barrel for a little extra accuracy, velocity, and a possibile slight edge in reliability.

Have heard the cheek weld on M-4 type stocks is a little less ergonomic than a traditional stock, but have no real experience with this.
Link Posted: 11/8/2002 5:59:45 PM EDT
[#5]
First Welcome and look around.

I to would say the 20" and in flattop. Reason like stated before, you will most likely want to put a sight on it sooner or later.

Now if you are going to do plinking then your ok. If you are going to want to do Highpower or get into it more. I would go with a free float version in 20". If you want check out a CMP model.

What you should do is look at has many brands has possible. Try to shoot some and then make your mind up.
Link Posted: 11/9/2002 11:55:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top